Calories burnt in SPINNING class

Options
I tried spinning at the gym for the first time this morning. HOLY CRAP was it a different kind of exercise than what I am used to. I am used to running and the elliptical. I was really confused with the settings on the bike and am not sure if I REALLY worked out as hard as I could have in an hour.

Anyways, I am wondering if there is any way to determine how many calories I burnt in an hour of spinning class and I am 115 pounds. Any ideas? Thank you!!

Replies

• kristineh86
    Options
    I tried spinning at the gym for the first time this morning. HOLY CRAP was it a different kind of exercise than what I am used to. I am used to running and the elliptical. I was really confused with the settings on the bike and am not sure if I REALLY worked out as hard as I could have in an hour.

Anyways, I am wondering if there is any way to determine how many calories I burnt in an hour of spinning class and I am 115 pounds. Any ideas? Thank you!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near your weight, but I burn about 600 cals in 1 hour. So, maybe 400 for you?

I know, this didn't help at all. :flowerforyou:
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Search the cardio exercises for stationary biking and then break it up into segments. When I do my exercise report for spinning I break it up between moderate effort, light effort, and vigorous effort. I put most of the time under moderate and then some under light for cool down and some under vigorous for the sprints. Example entry for me: 40min moderate, 10min light, 10min vigorous
  • Cole4248
    Cole4248 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitwatch.com/database/searchexdb.html

Great website, you can calculate a workout that isn't on here. But 400-600 is about right!!! Amazing!
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    10,000 :wink:
  • vlroody
    Options
    :happy: It depends what effort you are putting into your spin class..I do an advanced class, and am burning about 1200 each class. I started spinning 1 year ago, and have lost 85 lbs. Stick it out, you will get used to the workout!!! I am addicted to the class now!!! Only have 20 lbs to go!!!
  • kristineh86
    Options
    wow!! congrats on that weight loss! Spinning truly is a great work out and I certainly was sweating. It was just weird walking away from the class and I felt like I didn't get a good workout, although I was sweating and struggling during it. I think the resistance knob just threw me off target because there were no numbers on the bike so I had no idea how hard I really WAS working. I definitely want to try spinning again, though!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I weigh more than you as well. I did a little over 60 minutes spinning this morning and my hrm read 632. It was right at 70 minutes. I was early to the class so the first 10 minutes were just me warming up a bit.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    :happy: It depends what effort you are putting into your spin class..I do an advanced class, and am burning about 1200 each class. I started spinning 1 year ago, and have lost 85 lbs. Stick it out, you will get used to the workout!!! I am addicted to the class now!!! Only have 20 lbs to go!!!

How many times a week do you spin? What else (in the form of exercise) do you do? How long is the spin class that burns 1200 cals??? Sorry I am so full of questions and congrats on your loss!!