how do I help my mom

Options
I am very worried about my mom. She is my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her. However, I know that I probably don't have much more time with her. She is very overweight, and she is a diabetic. She seems to be just going downhill. She has trouble getting on her treadmill, because she has bad knees. i think she just doesn't think she can overcome this. I try to encourage her to just workout a little bit each day, but it is hard for her. I have watched what she has gone through my entire life. I have lost almost 50 pounds. I was borderline diabetic, and I decided that I did not want my life to be like my mother's. I have gotten down to a size 12, and my mom is very proud of me. I just wish I could do something to help her. I just don't want to lose her.

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Have your mom read what you wrote. Best wishes
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Have your mom read what you wrote. Best wishes

AMEN! plus, maybe your mother needs a lot more attention, she might even be borderline depressed, take her to the doctor for assistance for her physically and mentally. As we all know, weight loss is more than just physical. I'm in Australia and they do "Mental Health Assessments" at the doctors and depending on your answers they refer you to councillors or psychologists. Good luck
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    My Sister and myself are in exactly the same position as you.
    My Mother needs a knee replacement, but they won't operate because of her bad circulation in her legs. But she hasn't lost any weight either, in fact she is putting on around 20lbs per year. And, every year she is less mobile, and now she can hardly walk, she needs an electric tilted chair to stand up.

But we have got to the point where we have tried and said everything. At the end of the day it has to come from her, and she just won't help herself.
    She cannot see that all of her problems are because of her weight. She is very big around 360lbs.
    The only thing that we have found that keeps her a little active, is Wii golf, but it isn't nearly enough.

How old is your Mother? Mine is 76.

Sorry I can't be of any help here, I wish I could. We have tried talking till we are blue in the face, and nothing has changed, other than her weight and mobility getting worse.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your comments.

@ 123linz I am sorry for you situation too. My mother just turned 64. My brother is a doctor, and he has been trying to talk her into having surgery. She is afraid of doing that, and I don't know much about it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but you can not force anyone to do something until the are ready. If you find a way, let me know because I would love to help a few people too. :heart:
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am very worried about my mom. She is my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her. However, I know that I probably don't have much more time with her. She is very overweight, and she is a diabetic. She seems to be just going downhill. She has trouble getting on her treadmill, because she has bad knees. i think she just doesn't think she can overcome this. I try to encourage her to just workout a little bit each day, but it is hard for her. I have watched what she has gone through my entire life. I have lost almost 50 pounds. I was borderline diabetic, and I decided that I did not want my life to be like my mother's. I have gotten down to a size 12, and my mom is very proud of me. I just wish I could do something to help her. I just don't want to lose her.

If exercise is painstakingly difficult for her. Focus on the diet aspect first, and as she starts to lose weight even without exercising. She can slowly do exercises that won't put too much stress on her joints or any other ailing body parts. At this point, encouraging her how you've lost weight should help up lift her spirits. Guide her on how to eat healthier and how to be on a calorie deficit. Meaning eating under your maintenance calories, which creates weight loss. It's even more critical that she start now since she is diabetic. It can be difficult for individuals that have diabetes, because they need to monitor their sugar consumption which is derived from carbs. There's plenty of help here, don't hesitate to ask and ask, and ask more.