making bad choices ... suggestions please!!

Options
Lately, I've been making some bad eating choices. When I get stressed, I want sweets. I love chocolate milk, and ice cream, and the past week or so, I've been eating something really sweet every day. I haven't gained any weight, I've been maintaining for a couple of months now since I hit my weight loss goal. But I know that if I don't figure out an alternative, this will probably hurt me later. What can I eat when I get one of these sugar cravings? Any suggestions would be SO helpful!!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Try doing some yoga. Take that stress and turn it to relaxation. Hatha yoga is wonderful for this and very easy.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Get the Yoplait Whips Chocolate Mousse. It is soooooo yummy and decent on nutrients! It will fulfill that craving. Also, Jello Mousse creations is Ah-mazing! best wishes! Congrats on hitting maintainence!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Yogurt isn't too bad.

I find if i add cocoa to somethin, with sweetner, it'll give me the taste without the calories. Even in oatmeal or something simple.

You could try chocolate flavored protein, sometimes blended (banana or ice) will taste like a milkshake, or you can mic it and make a little brownie..it'll make a decent chocolate milk, sometimes in just water.

It'll be less calories, and a little healthier for the most part.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Lately, I've been making some bad eating choices. When I get stressed, I want sweets. I love chocolate milk, and ice cream, and the past week or so, I've been eating something really sweet every day. I haven't gained any weight, I've been maintaining for a couple of months now since I hit my weight loss goal. But I know that if I don't figure out an alternative, this will probably hurt me later. What can I eat when I get one of these sugar cravings? Any suggestions would be SO helpful!!

If you're anthing like me- avoid the sugar cravings all together (for now at least) and find something to keep yourself calm/busy. I have been doing more arts & crafts lately because it keeps my hands busy and keeps my mind busy and relaxed!
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    Yogurt isn't too bad.

I find if i add cocoa to somethin, with sweetner, it'll give me the taste without the calories. Even in oatmeal or something simple.

You could try chocolate flavored protein, sometimes blended (banana or ice) will taste like a milkshake, or you can mic it and make a little brownie..it'll make a decent chocolate milk, sometimes in just water.

It'll be less calories, and a little healthier for the most part.

all of those sound really good! thanks :smile:
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Try having some alternatives for your sweet tooth. Such as 100calorie thinsation products or crispie minis with chocolate drizzle (only 90 calories) that way you can get your fix and not go too far with the calories!
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    Try doing some yoga. Take that stress and turn it to relaxation. Hatha yoga is wonderful for this and very easy.

I hadn't thought of doing yoga, but I will deff give it a try :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I hadn't thought of doing yoga, but I will deff give it a try :smile:

For me, replacing "stress eating" with different stress eating was a bad move. I had to teach myself to take food out of the "stress" equation entirely. Yoga has been a really great way to do that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat something sweet every single day. I have a terrible sweet tooth and not having anything sweet turns me into a resentful, nasty person. I make sure that I can account for it in my calories for the day and I also look for sweets that give me more bang for my calorie buck. I tried to completely give up my sweets and well.. it wasn't pretty.

I've been maintaining my weight for awhile and am doing just fine with the sweets in my life still. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Get some vitamin C supplements and take them. It should help. Look up the link between Vitamin C, stress, cortisol, and the brain's reward neural pathway :)
  • NoDairy
    NoDairy Posts: 88
    Options
    bananas are great!! theres ways online how to make ice cream only with bananas.. any sweet fruit is better than junk no matter the nutrition facts!
  • maggie107
    Options
    No sugar added Popsicle brand Fudgesicles. For two of them it is only 80 cal. They are creamy, chocolatety and yummy!! Good luck!!
  • mandirae4
    Options
    I watched the show Doctors yesterday and they said if you sniff a grapefruit, it is suppose to turn you away from sweets. I have not tried it yet, but I want to try it. This sounds funny but it might really work. Yes and they also say you can get the grapfruit oil to sniff
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I watched the show Doctors yesterday and they said if you sniff a grapefruit, it is suppose to turn you away from sweets. I have not tried it yet, but I want to try it. This sounds funny but it might really work.

I've never heard of that but sounds interesting. If anyone wants to use this idea I recommend getting a vial of grapefruit essential oil and that way you can take it around with you wherever you go - easier than carrying around a grapefruit.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I heat frozen rasberries in the microwave with a teaspoon of sugar on top. V. low calories and feels like dessert to me.

You can also get no calorie jellies (for example, Weight Watchers) but I don't think they really scratch a sweet itch.

But I also endorse the yoga idea (I love yoga) or anything that works for you to relax and deal with your issues without using food. I'm a recovering comfort eater... trying to find other treats that work to soothe me.
  • mandirae4
    Options
    yes they also said the grapfruit oil
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    your problem is my problem eek!

i have atkins bars they are just over 100cals so fall into the snack categorie but low in carbs...... my 2 favorite are:
    atkins endulge caramel nut chew (this tastes like snickers bar)
    atkins advantage caramel chocolate roll (tastes like a picnic bar)'

i also eat alot of fruit when im craving sweet stuff:)
    and im also a bit naughty and have a coffee after lunch to curb my cravings.......

good luck and if you get any awesome ideas let me know:)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I can't stress it enough.. SKINNY COW ICE CREAM!!! It's the best. It's expensive, but yesterday it was on sale at my grocery store. Look for coupons!! Awesome chocolate fix!! It's so tasty!!

Also, GREAT JOB on realizing there is a slight problem before it gets really out of control and the weight creeps back up on you!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Isn't Grapefruit pricey? I'd save my money for Skinny Cow ice cream with no guilt and you still get a sweet :)
    I watched the show Doctors yesterday and they said if you sniff a grapefruit, it is suppose to turn you away from sweets. I have not tried it yet, but I want to try it. This sounds funny but it might really work.

I've never heard of that but sounds interesting. If anyone wants to use this idea I recommend getting a vial of grapefruit essential oil and that way you can take it around with you wherever you go - easier than carrying around a grapefruit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat something sweet every single day. I have a terrible sweet tooth and not having anything sweet turns me into a resentful, nasty person. I make sure that I can account for it in my calories for the day and I also look for sweets that give me more bang for my calorie buck. I tried to completely give up my sweets and well.. it wasn't pretty.

I've been maintaining my weight for awhile and am doing just fine with the sweets in my life still. :)

Majiorly agree here!

I need my chocolate/sweet fix.. and when I don't get it, I go a bit insane and turn into the crabbiest person ever!

As long as it's only a tiny bit(like a serving of ice cream or chocolate) and not a massive binge, it won't hurt you. Why look for alternatives when it's not what your body wants? Your only going to be disappointed and resent it more, if you're not eating what you really want.