Quinoa confusion! Help for the sake of my sanity!

Options
Ok, so I decided to cook quinoa. I measured out 1 cup of dried quinoa, knowing that 1/3 cup dry is 160 calories (from Arrowhead Mills). I cooked it all up and gave myself a portion. The bag said that 1/3 cup dry swells to 1 cup cooked. So I poured myself a cup (it looked like there were two cups left over in the pot).

Now, on MFP, it's saying that 1 cup cooked equals an ungodly amount of calories. Is this just an error? Grains/seeds can't just multiply in calories, can it? I still just consumed 160 calories?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I decided to cook quinoa. I measured out 1 cup of dried quinoa, knowing that 1/3 cup dry is 160 calories (from Arrowhead Mills). I cooked it all up and gave myself a portion. The bag said that 1/3 cup dry swells to 1 cup cooked. So I poured myself a cup (it looked like there were two cups left over in the pot).

Now, on MFP, it's saying that 1 cup cooked equals an ungodly amount of calories. Is this just an error? Grains/seeds can't just multiply in calories, can it? I still just consumed 160 calories?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I would log it as the dry amount. cals dont increase with water added!

How does it taste? I want to try it.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Whew!

Damn, my portions have changed. I used to eat a ton of rice with Chinese food. 1 cup of cooked quinoa was waaaay too much for me! I'll be having a half cup of cooked next time (1/6 dry).

Taste-wise, I think I should have rinsed it a little better, but it still tasted good. Tasted like "Wild man's grain." Very woodsy, earthy taste. I liked it!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa! I like to double check this site for foods that seem off in here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
    It shows that one cup, cooked, is equal to 222 calories. It's so good for you with 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams protein in a 1 cup, cooked, portion. I've used it in place of rice in dishes, have had it in cold salads (think orzo type salads), and a friend just told me that she eats it in place of oatmeal with a little milk, some nuts, honey, and some dried berries/fruits.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I buy Ancient Harvest. It doesn't need rinsing and I like that. For this brand 1/4c dry=about 1c cooked.
    I cook 1c. Then divide into 4 portions. 172cal, 62carbs, 6 fat, 12 protein, 6 fiber.

I love quinoa too, even my DH will eat it. I've eaten it for breakfast to. It's so easy to grab some already cooked & warm in the microwave. Or add some stir fried vegies for a quick lunch.