Need to find Motivation!

Options
In December of 07 my mom had open heart surgery and it was a wake up call for me... between January and June I had lost 57 pounds... Then, in June, I had to have a surgery of my own, and could not work out until I was completely healed. (I got the "all's clear" from my doctor in November) and haven't been working out much since. I miss my determination and motivation! Short of asking my mother to have another open heart surgery, do any of you have suggestions on ways I can get back on the wagon? :)

Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• OntheSand
    OntheSand Posts: 119
    Options
    In December of 07 my mom had open heart surgery and it was a wake up call for me... between January and June I had lost 57 pounds... Then, in June, I had to have a surgery of my own, and could not work out until I was completely healed. (I got the "all's clear" from my doctor in November) and haven't been working out much since. I miss my determination and motivation! Short of asking my mother to have another open heart surgery, do any of you have suggestions on ways I can get back on the wagon? :)

Thanks so much!!!
  • mandersen16
    Options
    For me, I just had to find something I liked doing (work out video's that were dance) and just go slow. even if you can convince yourself to do something for 10 minutes. Just start out slowly.

I also just don't even think about working out I just do it. It's another thing I have to do like brushing my teeth!

Good luck and hang in there!
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You'll find so many wonderful, supportive people to help you get back on that "wagon"!! Stay here & stay busy!! The food log & exercise log are great tools!! The message boards are wonderful!! Lot's of motivation!! There are a challenges, teams & groups assembled!

You'll love it here! Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not having the heart problems your mom had could certainly be a motivator.
    If you're anything like me, you will need to find something that you enjoy doing. If I don't like it, I WILL NOT do it! I can't make myself just do it, I have to want to do it! Find something you LIKE and WANT to do!!

Like me, I WANT to do the 30day shred. Right now I don't like it because I couldn't do it but because I WANT to do it, I am determined to do what it takes to make sure I CAN do it so that I WILL like it!

Good luck, and remember we are all here for you!!!

Memaw
  • Peetie
    Peetie Posts: 6
    Options
    I think the buddy system helps a lot! If you can find a friend or someone you know who is also looking to lose weight, you can get together and make it a sort of competition. That's what my Mom and I have done we work out every second day together. We also wrote down our measurements and every Friday we take them again and examine the progress we have made.
    Good luck with everything! If ever you need some extra motivation, let me know and I'd be more than willing to help you out!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    For me, I just had to find something I liked doing (work out video's that were dance) and just go slow. even if you can convince yourself to do something for 10 minutes. Just start out slowly.

I also just don't even think about working out I just do it. It's another thing I have to do like brushing my teeth!

Good luck and hang in there!

Thank you so much! I guess I just need to keep searching for my "thing"! I'm not quite sure what it is, but I think I have to remind myself that even if I can only go for 10 minutes - it's something!!!

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to at "work out" to a list of things to do! That might actually help!!! :)
  • OntheSand
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You'll find so many wonderful, supportive people to help you get back on that "wagon"!! Stay here & stay busy!! The food log & exercise log are great tools!! The message boards are wonderful!! Lot's of motivation!! There are a challenges, teams & groups assembled!

You'll love it here! Good luck to you! :drinker:

Thanks! I was an avid MFP user before my surgery and found that it really helped! I'm a very visual person, so seeing everything out in front of me was just what I needed! Thank you again!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    If you're anything like me, you will need to find something that you enjoy doing. If I don't like it, I WILL NOT do it! I can't make myself just do it, I have to want to do it! Find something you LIKE and WANT to do!!

Like me, I WANT to do the 30day shred. Right now I don't like it because I couldn't do it but because I WANT to do it, I am determined to do what it takes to make sure I CAN do it so that I WILL like it!

Memaw

Thank you so much! That's true... not having heart problems can most definitely be my motivator! I do need to find something I enjoy... I've heard a lot about the 30 day shred. What is it exactly? What does it do? I'm assuming it's pretty intense?

Thanks again for the support!!! And you WILL do it! :)
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I think the buddy system helps a lot! If you can find a friend or someone you know who is also looking to lose weight, you can get together and make it a sort of competition. That's what my Mom and I have done we work out every second day together. We also wrote down our measurements and every Friday we take them again and examine the progress we have made.
    Good luck with everything! If ever you need some extra motivation, let me know and I'd be more than willing to help you out!

This is true... I think it's just a matter of finding a time to work out... I'm always so exhausted in the mornings, and by the time I get home from work (I'm a manager for Customer Service, I'm sure you can guess how my days are! LOL) I'm too depressed or angry to even think of working out. A shower, my pajamas, and a hot cup of tea is my solace at the end of a day!!! :)

Regardless, I need to get back on the wagon and I'm sure this site will continue to help me!!! :)

Thanks so much!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Hey there! Good to see you back! I'm just getting back on here myself, I had a crazy few months and fell off the face of the Earth for a bit, but I'm back. Just think of it one day at a time, motivate yourself do it today, don't worry about every other day. I think that's what is keeping me going right now. I also got the Wii Fit game, which is a lot of fun, as well as, a good workout..just a thought!
  • Peetie
    Peetie Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree, trying to find time to work out can be pretty difficult, especially when you have to work long hours. You could try getting up a bit earlier to get that work out done in the morning. It will probably be tough in the beginning, but after a little while it will become part of your routine and will give you a lot more energy for the rest of your day. Even if it's just half an hour, 45 minutes, I'm sure it'll make a difference!

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I have been struggling with the same thing lately. I was doing really well in October and November, then a bunch of family stress happened and I ended up getting off track. Finding my way back on track has been difficult!

For me, I got back on track by crying!

I know that seems weird, but I had to admit how frustrated I was with where I am and with not doing what I know I should be doing. Now, I am picking myself back up and getting to work.

Try to motivate yourself with yourself! You CAN do this. You DO deserve it. You WILL be as healthy as you can be!

:flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    Options

Memaw

Thank you so much! That's true... not having heart problems can most definitely be my motivator! I do need to find something I enjoy... I've heard a lot about the 30 day shred. What is it exactly? What does it do? I'm assuming it's pretty intense?

Thanks again for the support!!! And you WILL do it! :)

30day shred is a video by Jillian Michaels of the biggest loser. It's a 3 level workout. You start out with level one and work your way up to level 3. Each level is 20mins long. She combines cardio and strength in 3 different circuits. It's tough. At least to me, it's tough!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    Hey there! Good to see you back! I'm just getting back on here myself, I had a crazy few months and fell off the face of the Earth for a bit, but I'm back. Just think of it one day at a time, motivate yourself do it today, don't worry about every other day. I think that's what is keeping me going right now. I also got the Wii Fit game, which is a lot of fun, as well as, a good workout..just a thought!

Same to you! Welcome back! It's tough when you fall off the wagon... getting back on is much more difficult than I ever thought it would be! I'm going to try and start working out in the mornings *fingers crossed* since that way I get it done and over with! I think I just need to remind myself that every little bit counts... ya know?

Thanks for the support and welcome back yourself! :)
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I agree, trying to find time to work out can be pretty difficult, especially when you have to work long hours. You could try getting up a bit earlier to get that work out done in the morning. It will probably be tough in the beginning, but after a little while it will become part of your routine and will give you a lot more energy for the rest of your day. Even if it's just half an hour, 45 minutes, I'm sure it'll make a difference!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Thank you so much!!! I actually read somewhere that your body no longer burns calories and what not after an hour of exercise... is that true or was it just someone's way of not wanting to work out for longer than an hour a day? :o)

Yea... I think I might need to start small though! Take it one day at a time... I just can't wait to get back into the routine of things!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I have been struggling with the same thing lately. I was doing really well in October and November, then a bunch of family stress happened and I ended up getting off track. Finding my way back on track has been difficult!

For me, I got back on track by crying!

I know that seems weird, but I had to admit how frustrated I was with where I am and with not doing what I know I should be doing. Now, I am picking myself back up and getting to work.

Try to motivate yourself with yourself! You CAN do this. You DO deserve it. You WILL be as healthy as you can be!

:flowerforyou:

A lot of people say that coming to terms with how upset you are, and being grateful that your body (while mistreated over the years) got you that far, really helps in getting back into the swing of things! Your words are awesome and I hope that I can find the motivation internally to pick up where I left off! Thank you!!!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    [/quote]

30day shred is a video by Jillian Michaels of the biggest loser. It's a 3 level workout. You start out with level one and work your way up to level 3. Each level is 20mins long. She combines cardio and strength in 3 different circuits. It's tough. At least to me, it's tough!
    [/quote]

Oh my!! That sounds pretty intense... how is it with results? Do you notice a change at all?
  • memaw66
    Options

[/quote]

Oh my!! That sounds pretty intense... how is it with results? Do you notice a change at all?
    [/quote] I have only done it once, last night, and I didn't finish it so I can't tell you about the results but I think others on here have had success with it!