Do you RUN the dog?

Options
yevasdottir
yevasdottir Posts: 23 Member
On this site, there's a walking-speed given (inter alia) which says "3.0mph = walking the dog".

OK, maybe where you live people walk their dog more quickly than they do around here, but I promise you, I am out grass-track walking through the woods at my 5km/hour pace (roughly just over 3.0mph) and I always pass the dog-walkers; they don't keep up with me, let alone pass me.

How quickly do you walk the dog?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    lol bump
  • Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Options
    pft. Walk the dog? My sisters fat little chihuahuas can barely walk from the hallway to their food bowl, let alone 3 mph!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Very very slowly. I pretty much just walk/stand/listen to music and let him sniff around. I can be out for an hour and get no further than 10 mins walk from my house.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I think that how fast you go depends on the breed. I see people biking with their big dogs running, leashed, beside them. Little poochies wouldn't be able to keep up.

Me, I walk as briskly as my dogs let me. They like to explore and sniff, so that slows the pace a bit.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    well i walk my german sheppherd and i do keep it about the 3mph because he's a fairly strong lad so any faster and it would be more like walking me!! :laugh:
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    Very very slowly. I pretty much just walk/stand/listen to music and let him sniff around. I can be out for an hour and get no further than 10 mins walk from my house.

Oh I am so glad my dog is not the only one that does this..
    A walk I would do alone about 20 minutes..
    With Delilah we are lucky to get under the 45 minute mark...
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I had to get a stopwatch to find out exactly how fast 3.0 mph was. I went a mile (4 laps) around the track and found I'm walking about 3.5 mph without the dogs, so I know my speed is at least 3.0 when I take them. My terrier has the fastest walk of any dog I've ever seen, man alive, I have to almost run to break him into a trot. We stop often, though, you know how dogs are, sniffing away at stuff along the trail...we walk in the woods where there must be hundreds of little animal scents. We'll be hauling butt down the path then errrrrrrrrrk they'll come to a screeching halt and almost pull me over. I'm always working with them to keep moving forward for at least 10 minutes before they get to stop and sniff. My heeler doesn't go as fast on days that his leg hurts, poor boy. But he's a trooper, a regular pooper, and me, well I'm the pooper scooper.
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    lol well my dog walks me, he sets the pace and it worked out at 3.5mph i definitly break a sweat and i usually prefer to take him to the local park and i do a run/walk/ calisinthetics interval training and he just runs along beside me tehe