30 Day Shred

Options
Good morning, everyone.

I've been looking at some of the things that people have been saying about Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred DVD. I thought I would go to Amazon.com and read some of the reviews. 90% of them were positive, but the reviews that scared me were about people's knees.

I was just wondering if people who have done the DVD had problems with theirs knees or made adjustments so their knees weren't so strained.

Just looking for input on people who have done the DVD and what their experinces were, especially with their knees. Also, what kind of results did you see as far as losing inches.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Replies

• s_krapf
    s_krapf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with my knees, but after the first few times I was very sore. I would stop doing it because of the soreness and then when I would start back up I would just modify my intensity in order to reduce the soreness so I could keep up with the program. However, I was also doing 2 other exercise programs so I was never able to keep up with this one. From what I did I think it would be a good program if you keep it up!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in the 30 day shred that is Crazy on the knees. If it hurts your knees in some of the leg parts, do the easier versions (as shown by the girls in the video) that adapts it to be easier and less strain. I had to stop early,. but loved it. Its a great video for everybody. I personally do have bad knees, they are even shaped funny too, but the moves are always done to the viewers best capabilities, ie if you knee hurts, go easy!
  • joanne2406
    joanne2406 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have problems with crunchy knees and a lot of the exercises would aggrevate them. I found this website which shows some adaptions to the exercises for people with knee issues:

http://www.theshredheads.com/2009/12/dear-shredheads-30-day-shred-hurts-my-knees.html

Hope this helps a little!
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the same thing. Read the reviews on Amazon last night. I recently injured my knee at work, still having some problems. So the mentioning of hurting knees keeps me from making the purchase too... Hope you get some great answers!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    30 DS is something i am looking into but i am also concerned about my knees. What i will say right now though is it is a generic mass market "fitness DVD". She claims she has had 400llbs people doing star jumps in level 1 but until you do them yourself you will not know how your body reacts.

My suggestion is try it and see, if you find something does cause genuine pain, tailor the move to make it easier for you to start with and as your weight decreases and fitness improves you may find you are able to do the complete move.

Rich
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    it never really bothered my knees. i was really sore the first few days but i think that's because i hadn't really worked out in any challenging way for almost 2 years. so expect a little soreness but it will not just be the knees. my suggestion would be just don't go down as far with the lunges and stuff if you are worried. i completed it and now moved on to ripped in 30. you can do it. maybe the people that wrote that just had bad knees to begin with or were doing the exercises wrong.
  • eva925
    eva925 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    On the DVD there is Jillian Michaels, and 2 other ladies...one does the exercise at a high intensity and the other does it at a lower intensity. They are great little workouts...just 20 minutes long and you will sweat. I hate doing jumping jacks so I run in place but for the most part I think they are a great quick workout. If something hurts then just don't do it and put something else in it's place. Good Luck!!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    if people are having problems with their knees, it's bc they aren't doing it right. she tells you what to look for and what to fix if your knees are hurting. takes some getting used to but its not very hard to do it right. the 20th will be my last day of L3. the only problem i've seen (and this is just my personal feelings) is that 18 minutes (and yes, it's 3 circuits at 6 minutes each) just isnt enough for me. i was doing another of her dvds (frontside for beginners) that was about 50 minutes and 30SD just isnt on the same level, result wise, as the other was for me.
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    l encountered problems with my knees, but that's only because l already have a bone spur which causes my knee to creak, crack and sometimes pop. That's why I don't do the 30DS anymore, and only do the No More Trouble Zones, which seems to ease a bit. However, l think if you have no problems with your knees, and you follow the DVD correctly, then you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.