How heavy were you at (UK) size 16?

2»

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    I always thought you had to be set weight to get into a certain size!.. I can just get in a 16 now at 160lbs, but my tummy still shows quite prominently cos its a tighter fit around abdomen, so I still feel more comfortable in a n 18 as I like my clothes baggy.

I'm hoping to wear my size 16's once I lose another few inches off my tummy and they are 'bigger' on me.
  • haileemou
    haileemou Posts: 153
    I'm 5'6 and 85kg a size 16
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    I'm 5'9" and fit into UK 16 at about 200 lbs..
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    This is interesting! I am 220 lb (99 kilos), 5 ft 11 and fit in a 14 top and 16/18 bottoms.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Hello im 5'7 and 201lbs at the mo and i fit into size 18's at the moment but my new 18 jeans are getting quite big so i do think i will be a 16 soon ish, annoying i have broad shoulder and small bust but big blooming hips then small ish thighs so different clothes look and hang differently in different sizes.
  • I did it... I bought it. But in a size 18 - a lady sent me a message saying that these kinds of dresses are unforgiving, so I can wear it when I'm a size 18 and a size 16 :D I CANNOT WAIT TO WEAR IT!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    I'm 5'3" and a size 16 around 150-170lbs.
  • I'm 5'5 and I wore a size 16 at my highest weight of around 170lbs. I'm currently yo-yoing between 136lbs and 142lbs and fit into a size 8/10UK top and 10/12UK bottoms.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    It's incredible all the variation shown here. I guess some people must be more toned up than others ;)

I'm 5'8'', weigh 13st and fit a UK 16, mainly to get over my pear-shaped hips. Sometimes I can squeeze into a 14 top, but it totally depends on where I go shopping...

In Wallis I can get in a UK 14, whereas in Primark I need an 18 (gulp!).

Marks and Spencer and Next seem to be somewhere in the middle and I always fit in a 16 at those shops.

The dress you've posted is really pretty... but... I find, being a pear-shape, I just can't wear full skirts as they make me look massive (that Kirsty Allsop look!). I find tailored pencil-skirted dresses far more flattering on me. And the bonus is that pencil skirts look far better on girls with a bit of curvy hip and behind going on than skinny minnies! M&S currently have loads online with different coloured panels. I bought four last week for work and keep getting comments. And the panelling actually makes me look slimmer than I am! This is one of them: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Cap-Sleeve-Contrast-Panelled-Dress/dp/B0058LGB72?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_27&nodeId=308803031&sr=1-27&qid=1318886282
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I agree about looking at your measurements rather than your weight.

That said, I'd presume you need to drop about 20lb (just over a stone) to move between sizes at your kind of current weight. Also that dress is fitted at the top more than the bottom, so I would guess you can get away with fitting to your smaller upper measurement rather than your lower one.

I have the opposite problem. I measure as a UK 14 at the hips, and between a 22 and 24 at the bust!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I think a UK 16 is the equivalent of a US 14? That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.

In that case, I wore the equivalent of UK 16 in dresses when I weighed about 210-230 pounds... but I'm 5'10" with a large bone structure and an hourglass figure. At around 170 now, I wear a US Size 6 dress, which is like a UK 8, but in pants I wear an 8 or 10 (US), which is like a UK 10 or 12...

If that makes any sense.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I did it... I bought it. But in a size 18 - a lady sent me a message saying that these kinds of dresses are unforgiving, so I can wear it when I'm a size 18 and a size 16 :D I CANNOT WAIT TO WEAR IT!

Is that your dress in your profile pic??
    I wear a lot of dresses like this and they are unforgiving. They have very tiny waists so work hard on toning your stomach and waist to lose the inches :) and good luck!! :):) I always treat myself to dresses in smaller sizes to encourage me!! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I think a UK 16 is the equivalent of a US 14? That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.

If that makes any sense.

No, a UK 16 is more like a US 12.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member

If that makes any sense.

No, a UK 16 is more like a US 12.

In that case, I was probably 195-210 lbs when I was in a UK 16
  • smex14
    smex14 Posts: 48
    gorgeous dress pan!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    I'm currently 13 stone 3lbs, and in a size 14 in tops and most bottoms now, but still have to get the occasional 16. I was a solid 16 all over when I weighed 14 stone. I'm 5'9''.
  • I really REALLY want this dress, but at the moment I don't want to buy it for the size I am now, as it won't look as nice as it does in the picture. Currently I'm at the border of size 18/20 on the top and size 22 on the bottom and I weigh 250lbs.

So basically I want to buy the dress for a size 16 and I wanted to know how far I would need to get to fit into it! I'm 5'5" and I'm pear shaped so I tend to be slimmer on the top naturally, so if anyone else is this shape and could advise me that would be great!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/Pantoinette/MFP album/goaldress.jpg I can't get the img to come up here for some reason so hopefully you can see this!

btw, comments on the dress would be fab too :D

I am 5' 3" ( nearly ) I I still wear size 16 UK bottoms but they're a little loose now, I weigh 156.8lbs. I am an hourglass figure.
  • I have no idea about the size/weight issue.

But that dress is so cute. I love it. :D Is that type of dress popular in the UK? I have never seen anyone where one across the pond. Would you mind giving me the website?
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    I am a size 16 now and I'm 5'5". I weigh 153lbs. However I am an apple shape when I'm overweight and carry at least half a stone in boobs. Unfortunately I am naturally a 34J. I ssem to drop a dress size when I lose a stone. I am a size 14 when I am 140lbs. Most other women are a size 12 or a large 10. It sucks for my body shape. Clothes just don't fit properly and it doesn't help that shops like Zara shape the sizes differently and smaller than normal???
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    I recently managed to fit into size 16 jeans at about 193lbs. I'm 5'6" and have a relatively proportionate body (or at least I think so) and can fit into size 14-16 tops. I think it also depends on how your body distributes the weight. The dress is adorable! And since you have a pear shaped body and the dress has a flair at the bottom, you might be able to fit in it earlier than you think! :)