New..scared

Hi there,
A gal at the grocery store just told me about this site and I'm excited to be here. I'm going to a bariatric surgery seminar on Tuesday which scares me to death, but I'm desperate. I've got rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and pretty much can't stand to do a whole lot. Nothing else has worked for me so I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for here without that crazy surgery. I'm in Ohio, mother of 2 and married. I hope you all have a great day!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Welcome and good luck. Even if you have surgery you have to eat right. Educate yourself on healthy eating and make your health your new hobby. :flowerforyou:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Good luck! I know how it feels with Rheumatoid Arthritis, also have Osteoarthritis and losing the weight helps with the pain I find.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Good luck with your surgery! I am so glad you heard about this site, it really helps you understand how to eat better and how to make really well-informed healthy choices.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Welcome! This is a great site to find support, no matter which route you choose. I had a lot of physical problems that kept me from moving, too. The best thing I ever did was hire a personal trainer that watches those weak spots. I've gained so much strength and mobility from that! It takes about 4-6 weeks to start seeing a difference if you start training, but I highly recommend it. Just find someone with lots of experience. Good luck!
  • happyhenglers
    happyhenglers Posts: 17 Member
    I am proud of you for making the first step. The surgery is one part of the solution, but the other part will be using your newly learned and practiced skills to maintain what results you get from the surgery. It also helps to be in the best health possible before any surgery, so starting now will put you in a better place once you have it.

My big learning over the last year: looking at food as our ancestors did--as fuel and medicine for your body--will begin to change the way you eat if you want to be healthier and feel better. Processed foods--in particular sugar--causes inflammation to our bodies. When you eat it, your body becomes more inflammed, not less. So conditions like RA become worse. Foods that are anti-inflammatory will help to reduce the pain and alllow you to do more and more as your body starts to heal. So each time you make a choice about food, think of it as being the opportunity to get one step closer to living a life free (or more free) of pain. (Sorry--sometimes those of us on MFP like to talk to remind ourselves just as much as we like to share the learning.:flowerforyou: )
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Welcome! There are people on this site who have had bariatric surgery or athritis or fibromyalgia. Maybe even a combination of them. You can search the threads for sites and friend people that have similar issues to the ones you have. Some people on the site have never been over wieght and others who have always been over weight. There are personal trainers here who share health and exercise tips as well. People share healthy recepies and healthy living ideas. Every one can find their place here. Good luck whether you chose the surgery or decide to lose the weight on your own either way you are welcome here.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    You're in the right place- you can do this.

First step is to be accountable for what you put into your body!
  • Jennypins
    Jennypins Posts: 90 Member
    It's okay to be scared. We are here for you. I'll support you if you want. Feel free to send me a friend request.

Welcome to MFP. I'm glad you're here.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    I love this site! I have health problems and had done nothing but gain weight the last 5 years no matter what I did. I was considering the Lap Band Surgery and then someone told me about this site. Glad they did - it is working for me so no more thoughts of surgery. I have learned so much here about food and nutrition. Other folks post lo cal recipes and I especially enjoy them. Good Luck!
  • Welcome to MFP!!! You'll love it here. You'll be able to utilize this to find great information. If you ever have any questions about nutirtion, please feel free to ask. I lost 39 lbs since starting MFP in June and my wife has lost 14 lbs. Have a great day!!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Welcome to MFP!

If you take a look in this section you'll find a recent thread regarding Fibro. There are many of us on here who have it! You'll find that as you start eating better and the weight comes off, you will likely have less pain. I say likely because it's not a given, but I hope you find it happens to you, as it's happened to me.

Make sure you pay attention to what you're eating, as that can have a huge effect on your pain levels.

You know your body - find your limits and play around with them. It's different for all of us (I'm able to push myself further than a lot of people with Fibro, but I'm also still fairly young).

Good luck to you. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like some extra encouragement :smile: