Different HRM Q

Options
Ok, I just got mine today, it's a cheapy - Reebok Precision XT - and I'm just thinking this is a little weird.

Ive been wearing it for the last 2 hours or so just to play with it and according to it i've burned roughly 400 calories in roughly 2 hours....

And I have a desk job...

What do you guys think? I can't possibly actually burn 200 calories an hour... that's 4800 calories a day!

Replies

• Vanessa414
    Options
    Ok, I just got mine today, it's a cheapy - Reebok Precision XT - and I'm just thinking this is a little weird.

Ive been wearing it for the last 2 hours or so just to play with it and according to it i've burned roughly 400 calories in roughly 2 hours....

And I have a desk job...

What do you guys think? I can't possibly actually burn 200 calories an hour... that's 4800 calories a day!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Have you set your User Settings?
    (Sex, Age, Height, Weight)
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Also, what does it say your heart rate is?
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    I did set my user settings and my HR is hovering right around 60
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    You are on the CHRONO feature, using the 'stopwatch' feature?

What does it show your average heart rate is? (You can scroll through by pressing the MEM button.)

Do you have on the chest strap?
  • Vanessa414
    Options

What does it show your average heart rate is? (You can scroll through by pressing the MEM button.)

I'm actually on the timer feature and yes I have on the chest strap.

Should I switch to chrono and see if that says anything different?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I'm actually on the timer feature and yes I have on the chest strap.

Should I switch to chrono and see if that says anything different?

Right or wrong, I dunno!! But when I'm working out, I use the CHRONO feature.
    I press the ST/SP button to start and stop my workout times (obviously).
    The MEM button lets me scroll through the information presented, which includes the % of max heart rate at which I am working out (this comes in handy for me when I'm running and trying to stay within a certain HR% range), my average heart rates, the time my HR was over/below/in target heart rate zone, and total calories burned.

I hope that helps.
    I've never really worn mine around for another other purpose than to work out. I'd read once that HRMs aren't designed to give you BMR, just to calculate HR and what that would roughly correspond to in calories burned.
  • Go_Duke
    Go_Duke Posts: 66
    Options
    I really think your settings are not correct somehow, go over them again and see if there needs to be a correction

also check your activity settings
  • fjtcjt
    Options
    The CHRONO or Timer doesn't really matter. The Timer counts down so you can set a goal time and work down and the CHRONO just measures the time of your workout. This is handy if you don't have a goal time in mind or your workout times are different lengths.

I am not sure why it says you have burned that many calories. I have never worn mine around casually either, but it sounds interesting. I might have to try it. I am curious how it calculates the calories burned as well. I know it is the same as the treadmill that I workout on at the gym. It picks up the heart rate from my monitor and calculates the calories and it is the same as the watch, so at least I know they are using the same formula.

I might go put mine on and try it for a while and see (I have a desk job as well).
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Well, see i'm having this other problem where its not picking up my signal right consistantly..

I think it has something to do with how i'm wearing the chest strap... I couldn't figure out exactly where to put it since I have boobs. :bigsmile:

Any advice on that one??

(I gave up and put it away cuz It was giving me aneurism watching it read the HR, then not, then read it, then not when I wasn't even moving :mad: , but I'm wondering for future reference)
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Well, see i'm having this other problem where its not picking up my signal right consistantly..

I think it has something to do with how i'm wearing the chest strap... I couldn't figure out exactly where to put it since I have boobs. :bigsmile:

Any advice on that one??

(I gave up and put it away cuz It was giving me aneurism watching it read the HR, then not, then read it, then not when I wasn't even moving :mad: , but I'm wondering for future reference)

I wear mine right under my bra line. I usually tuck it under the bra just a teeny bit to keep it in place.

Sometimes, you have to rub a little water under the sensor to get it to pick up your heart rate. If you were exercising, that would happen naturally, but since you aren't that might be the problem.
  • fjtcjt
    Options
    I place it right under my chest so the sensor is kind of in the depression made by my sternum. It does recommend to place it above the chest however, but I don't find that as comfortable. It doesn't always get a good signal if it isn't making good skin contact. It works best with a little sweat which assists the sensor to pick up your heart rate.

It says I am burning about 3 calories per minute which is definately high. I found a formula online which calulates around 1.75 cal/min for someone my age, height and weight at 60 bpm. So maybe the watch assumes you are exercising. Don't know for sure.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Any advice on that one??

I wear mine right under my bra line. I usually tuck it under the bra just a teeny bit to keep it in place.

Sometimes, you have to rub a little water under the sensor to get it to pick up your heart rate. If you were exercising, that would happen naturally, but since you aren't that might be the problem.

If my chest strap isn't properly positioned and 'moistened', it doesn't send a constant or correct HR over to my watch.

I place mine under the bottom stretchy band of my sports bra (it's as high up under the boobs as it'll go, and the bottom of the sports bra hides the band entirely, to be quite graphic about it). Before I put it on, I run the tiniest splash of water over the plastic piece. During my workout, natural sweat continues to keep the moisture there. I've heard others say they use lotion to moisten the chest receptacle piece. Whatever floats your boat there, I suppose.
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I was putting it on the top of my chest but either it was too high, or it wasn't getting good enough skin contact so I think i'll try it below when i work out tonight.

Thanks guys!!! :heart: :heart: