Gave blood...

Options
Last Wednesday I gave blood but I noticed that it has left me a little off since. I went for a run the next day but I was no where close to my usual speed felt sick. The next day was on the elliptical and it was a bit better. Last two days I've been cycling doing better but I seem to get a little light headed ( I do push hard).
I was just wondering has anyone else been affected like this after giving blood? If so how long till normal again? Have decided to up my vitamins to see if that helps.

Replies

• Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    In the UK they wont let you donate if you are under 50 kg. The smaller you are, the less blood you have,so maybe it was just a bit much for you? I imagine you will be fne in a day or so, your body should replace the blood quickly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You should not still feel the affects 4 days later. Are you eating enough iron?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You're plasma takes about 24 hours to regenerate to full, blood celss take longer so you're aerobic capacity does reduce. Takes about a month to two months to regenerate full cells again. If you're an athlete then you shouldn't give blood as will affect performance. If you train hard you probably won't be able to give blood as your iron levels will seem to be low too probably.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Last Wednesday I gave blood but I noticed that it has left me a little off since. I went for a run the next day but I was no where close to my usual speed felt sick. The next day was on the elliptical and it was a bit better. Last two days I've been cycling doing better but I seem to get a little light headed ( I do push hard).
    I was just wondering has anyone else been affected like this after giving blood? If so how long till normal again? Have decided to up my vitamins to see if that helps.

I would of waited a few days to recover. How much blood did you give or donate? Your body will replace the blood volume(plasma) within 48 hours. But will take weeks for your body replace the red blood cells you donated. If your lacking production of red blood cells which carry oxygen through the entire body, muscles, organs, etc. It will definitely hinder your performance, I wouldn't exercise intensely, until you've fully recovered. But doesn't mean stop exercising, just make sure your eating properly with your calories and macro-nutrients. And you should recover much faster
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eating more iron rich foods will help aid in production of red blood cells.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    They don't want my blood :(
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you I apperciate the input.:smile: