Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Goat Cheese

Options
ShannonMpls
ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
We had this for breakfast and it was great and healthy. I'd eat it for any meal. I got the recipe here: http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/07/baked-eggs-in-spicy-tomato-sauce/ (look at those gorgeous pics!)

Basic nutrition info as made below:
148 calories
8g carbohydrates
9g protein
290mg sodium
4g sugar
1g fiber

Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Goat Cheese (serves 4)

1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium diced carrot (for me, 41g or about 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup white or yellow onion, diced (46g for me)
14 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Tomatoes with no salt added)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste - I added more)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt (note: do not add this if your canned tomatoes are salted! Instead, salt to taste)
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (plus more for garnish if desired)
2 ounces goat cheese (I used Chevrai crumbles, 60 grams)
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 400.

Now, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a small or medium heavy pan. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes until softened, stirring often. Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend the sauce well, either using an immersion blender or transferring it to a blender. Use caution if using a blender - hot stuff has a tendency to explode when blended, so leave the hole in the lid off to allow steam to escape.

Divide the sauce among four ramekins. Now, dot each ramekin with 1/4 of the goat cheese. Crack an egg on the top of each mixture. Bake the ramekins until egg whites have set but the yolk is still runny - for me, this took 12 minutes. (I'm certain this could be made in one large ramekin or another appropriately sized baking dish but I love the single servings)

Garnish with basil chiffonade, if desired, and serve immediately with toast for dipping.

Replies

• sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump-- that sounds great!
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    bump-- that sounds great!

It was awesome! I'm super excited that I have a ramekin of sauce in the refrigerator to make for breakfast tomorrow :)
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This sounds delish! I am going to make it tonight for dinner, but with Feta cheese because that is what I have on hand. Thank you for sharing this fun recipe.

4329776.png
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    bump! can't wait to make it!
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    This sounds delish! I am going to make it tonight for dinner, but with Feta cheese because that is what I have on hand. Thank you for sharing this fun recipe.

You're welcome!

and I've seen versions of this recipe made with feta (like this one: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/). It's going to be delicious!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    YUM thank you! Enjoy your weekend :flowerforyou:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This warms my foodie soul. <3
  • Choirgirl37
    Options
    When I was about 6, my mother made a dish similar to this for me. She insisted that I stay at the table until I finished it. :sick: I sat there for a loooooong time.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    When I was about 6, my mother made a dish similar to this for me. She insisted that I stay at the table until I finished it. :sick: I sat there for a loooooong time.

My 18 month old went nuts for it :)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    DROOL!!!!!!!!!! That sounds so amazing!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    mmm... Sounds a lot like huevos rancheros! I think they're usually served with tortillas, though. I love eggs in anything, but this sounds especially good.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    yum sounds great! I agree with rf1170 very similar to huevos rancheros, but this sounds better than my huevos rancheros (even though I do make some bangin huevos rancheros!)
  • SweetChilly
    SweetChilly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    OMG yum! I love everything in this recipe.. Eggs (love), Goat cheese (adore), tomato sauce (squeel).... it looks quick and easy to make to... I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and make it for breakfast!

Do you think it would be microwaveable?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome, but I don't like runny yolks so I am gonna do this but take out the yolk. YUM!!
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump. This looks sooo good.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Do you think it would be microwaveable?

I've never tried to microwave eggs. Do it and report back!
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    mmm... Sounds a lot like huevos rancheros! I think they're usually served with tortillas, though. I love eggs in anything, but this sounds especially good.

I make heuvos rancheros this way:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/huevos-rancheros/

Oh, do I love cheese and eggs. And when I make them like this, flipping the tortilla/egg/cheese creation, the cheese fries up in the cast iron so it's crunchy. LOVE FRIED CHEESE.
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    These were delicious. I made some modifications, and my husband and I loved our version! (Although I'm sure the original version is just as delicious!!)

-Used eggbeaters instead of eggs (needed to cook about 18 minutes).
    -No carrots! I hate them.
    -No oregano!...can't stand it!
    -Used chives instead of basil, because i didn't have fresh basil.

The chives and eggbeaters were delicious. We'll definitely be making these again. Thanks so much!!