Mapping Running Distance

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
I have been using www.mapmyrun.com to estimate the miles I have been running and walking.. while that site is great, it's kind of time consuming b/c sometimes I can't find the right trail or I run through the woods, etc LOL.

is there an easier way to determine distance ran???? how do you guys measure your distance ran if you are off terrain??????

(like on average* for every 100 calories you burn is one mile, or something like that) ????

thanks !

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I use the Endomondo app on my phone.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I use the Runkeeper app.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I use Endomondo, too. I do a lot of trail running and hiking, and it maps those very well. Though I find it's not very accurate with calories. But if you're looking for a good way to map distance, it's great.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Forerunner on my left hand and my Polar FT7 on my right hand (HRM). Then download the data to my laptop.
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way using map my run but since I found the iphone app for that site it's all changed! The app maps the run for you as you go...<3 it!
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    I use Cardio Trainer for Android. Uses GPS and is extremely brilliant.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options
    I use runmyroute.com ...you can create your own routes and save them and put them in your training log!
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm a Runkeeper user too!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I use Cardio Trainer for Android. Uses GPS and is extremely brilliant.
    same. i got the pro version for free and love it
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I use Endomondo, too. I do a lot of trail running and hiking, and it maps those very well. Though I find it's not very accurate with calories. But if you're looking for a good way to map distance, it's great.

How off on calories is it? Do you have an HRM? How do you come to find out it wasn't accurate?
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i'll have to look into these more later... as my phone right now is a dinosaur and doesn't have apps haha (yes, terrifying)
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have an android, you can use jogtracker pro. If you have music on your phone at the same time, it's even better because you only need one thing.
  • Janinelow
    Options
    I like http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to plan my run
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Forerunner on my left hand and my Polar FT7 on my right hand (HRM). Then download the data to my laptop.

OMG you are the same as me, EXCEPT I have my Garmin Forerunner on my right hand and my Ft7 on my left hand.. how funny!
  • Heather_Stephens
    Heather_Stephens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper. It has an app and its viewable at runkeeper.com.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    cardio tracker for the phone it is great. I got the free one, i dont need tho pro i dont thnk. I cardio tracker will tell the calories and distance and how fast however i use a hrm to rely on the calories burned because the cardio tracker seems to over estimate the calories but 50 to 80 cal. But I love it as a way of telling how far i go and it still plays my music.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Nike+ on my ipod, Garmin Forerunner GPS on my wrist.

While the two don't always disagree, sometimes I've inadvertantly bumped a button or had one of them run out of battery power.

I'm somewhat fanatical about keep my numbers but these two work for me.
  • edmondskm
    Options
    I used runkeeper also!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I use My Tracks by Google. I just send the info to my Gmail account and it gives me a link to Google maps that shows my run/walk with all my data.

Then I have my HRM with me, too, for calorie burn.