Should you force yourself to eat?

I tried to label the subject the best I could, they're kinda short. But anyhoo, so someone just asked about working out when you're sick and I have another question about eating when you're sick.

So this is day 7 for me of being sick. I rarely get sick and when I do, it's horrible. The last time I got sick was when I started the job I currently have (which was 3 years ago). For the past week, my calorie intake has yo-yo'ed but I've eaten each day because I was hungry. Now, today, I've been up for 7 hours and haven't eaten anything. Just hot tea and water. I'm also NOT hungry. There's no gurgling in my tummy, I'm not craving anything, except for maybe the severe chest congestion to go away.

So. My question is... should you force yourself to eat when you're sick and not hungry just to get some calories in your body or should you wait until your stomach growls and gurgles and bites your head off?

Also, to be noted, I don't have a fever, just a low grade temp now and then, I know they say "feed a cold, starve a fever".

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I usually have no appetite when I get sick. I just drink a lot of really cold fluids and sleep.

If you're not hungry, don't eat or just eat light (some crackers or something).
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Maybe some toast? soup?

I think it is important that you eat something, sick or not.

My thoughts are if you don`t eat then your body thinks it is going to starve, then you eat and your body thinks, great now we have food better hang on to these cals cos we might starve again next week. (I feel the same about water if you drink a lot then don`t drink for a few days then you will retain)

Also, maybe take some supplements?

Hope you feel better real soon x
  • I'd say listen to your body....it will tell you in no uncertain terms when you are hungry. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I just was horribly sick and wondered about the same thing you are asking. I hunted up and down the internet looking for clues. I did find out that your metabolism speeds up to fight off the infection and could really use food intake to use for fuel for the fight.
    So I did force myself to eat some chicken broth with crackers. I actually felt better once I had something in my stomach. But I hadn't eaten much the previous day either :\

At the very least, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. Water is great but Gatorade is probably better.
  • I know the feeling about not having an appetite when you're sick. I usually try to do some hot soup, maybe with some pepper, to help with any congestion, especially if there's any mucus in your throat. This way, even if it's just broth from chicken soup or something, there's a little something in your body. Your body needs something to feed off of to help you get better as well. But, as far as a full blown meal with the works, I wouldn't push myself that far...
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    The problem with NOT eating is that you're killing your metabolism.. even if it is for a week.

Also if you're weak your body needs the added strength to heal and boost your immune system.

So I say EAT!!.. Chicken soup, maybe some malt o meal, a banana smoothie, or jello. But EAT!
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    I would eat something light like plain toast, soup or jello. You don't need a whole meal or anything just something. Unless you feel like you might not be able to keep anything down. Then take it easy.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    chicken noodle soup... or your favourite soup... you need something to help fight off the virus and if you are taking any paracetamol-based otc medicine you ought to have something to eat.

Remember food isn't the enemy. It's fuel and we all need to refuel regularly... even when we're feeling unwell.

get well soon! :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks, everyone! Very helpful! I made some beef vegetable soup and half a sandwich. I feel much better now. Thanks again!