HRM???

Options
I'm looking to get a hrm so i know how many calories i burn while doing cardio? any suggestions on brands? I'm not looking to spend over 100... and do you think that they are worth buying?

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY WORTH IT GOGOGOGOGOGO
  • brazilian27
    Options
    they can't live without my HRM. for me best brand out there is polar. they have models under $100. I paid more because all the options I had on mine. trust me you will not regret :)
  • erikag34
    erikag34 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the Polar FT4 is a good basic HRM. That;s what I'm planning to buy.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and i LOVE it! Super easy to use and I got it off ebay for $65 or so, they are on amazon as well!
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just did a lot of shopping for mine..

Sadly, i don't think anything under100 worth buying...

After a lot of reading and shopping... I bought a Polar FT7 .. The FT4 would have been decent too... Anything under 200 won't calculate your rate constantly or won't be accurate....
  • teenyinni
    Options
    I think it is definitely worth having one. I got mine on Amazon for under $100 1.5 years ago (Polar F6) and I absolutely love it! It's so nice to be able to see the results of your hard work. I find that seeing the number of calories I burned during a workout is a great motivator.
  • BigCat175
    BigCat175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will not workout if I don't have my HRM. Every good personal trainer I've talked to says that a HRM is step one before starting any program. My HRM is an essential part of my workout. I believe that Polar is the best and it is what I've been using at the suggest of my personal trainer and I have not been disappointed.

Match up the functionality of your HRM with the kind of exercise program you are looking to put together.

If there is anything specific you want some feedback on just let me know. Take care.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just did a lot of shopping for mine..

Sadly, i don't think anything under100 worth buying...

After a lot of reading and shopping... I bought a Polar FT7 .. The FT4 would have been decent too... Anything under 200 won't calculate your rate constantly or won't be accurate....

Why would something under $200 not track your heart rate constantly or accurately? If it's got the chest strap/watch combo, doesn't that constantly monitor your heart rate? I would agree that some brands may be better than others, more high tech and have more features, but I disagree that a HRM has to cost over $200 to be any good.

I do think that the best models will have that chest strap, and give you the ability to enter your gender, age, height, weight, etc, so it can better report your own calorie burn. The ones that are watch only are more vague, and you have to take your pulse by placing your fingers on the watch periodically as you workout, so it's not a constant read.

Read up on them, shop around, then find what you want online - definitely cheaper than stores. And if you're really patient, find it on eBay and wait for the right auction - I got my brand new New Balance N4, which retails anywhere from $80 - $140 in stores and online, for just $26 in an eBay auction. I am very pleased with it.

Good luck!