WHATS THE BEST WAY TO BURN FAT?

Options

Replies

• siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Most women want lean (not bulky) muscle so when you do your strength training go for lighter weight and more reps, heavier weight will give you bulky muscle. Eating clean is super important and doing so consistently. Lots of water. I drink smart water often too, helps to prevent dehydration which will cause water retention. OH! and invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). Know your goal heart rate and stay within range of it when working out. It really does make a difference.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Edit for required reading:

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/06/i-dont-want-to-get-big-and-bulky-fitness-marketing-and-its-effect-on-women/

I find your post quoting a part of my post very rude. If you had included the entire post what I actually started out with is "What works for me ..." So you can keep your snarky accusation that I am "spreading misinformation" to yourself. Someone asked for advice and I gave mine. Take it or leave it.

Agreed. Very rude.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    To burn fat and lose weight the number one priority is to eat a calorie deficit under your TDEE.

1. You don't have to eat clean.
    2. You don't have to eat every 2-3 hours.
    3. You don't have to eat a ton of small meals.
    4. You have to eat a calorie deficit.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    interesting pissing contest in this thread. my two cents:

first, for most folks, simply creating a caloric deficit (consuming fewer calories than your body burns) is all you need to do.

however, for some folks, it also matters what you eat to create a caloric deficit. for some folks, too much salt, too many grains/processed sugar/pasta, too many processed foods, etc., will work againt fat burning. We don't all have the same body types and part of the fat loss equation is figuring out what works best for you.

for me, I lost weight earlier in the year mostly doing WW and eating a fair amount of processed foods and grains (along with some fruit and veggies). Later on, for my own reasons, I decided to swap processed foods for more natural foods. I continued to lose weight and I started feeling better. I personally believe there are benefits of reducing processed foods from your diet that run beyond mere weight loss. Its up to you to decide whether those are benefits you are interested in or not because most folks can lose weight simply by creating a sufficient caloric deficit.

second, its not necessary to add exercise to lose weight. during the first part of my mission, I did not do any exercise and was eating quite a bit of processed foods as stated above. I lost between 21-23 pounds during this time by simply eating a caloric deficit. As I added exercise....especially sprint interval training (see my blog below for more specifics on this)...I began to reshape my body while I continued to lose weight.

Good luck to you on your journey.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Most women want lean (not bulky) muscle so when you do your strength training go for lighter weight and more reps, heavier weight will give you bulky muscle. Eating clean is super important and doing so consistently. Lots of water. I drink smart water often too, helps to prevent dehydration which will cause water retention. OH! and invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). Know your goal heart rate and stay within range of it when working out. It really does make a difference.

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/06/i-dont-want-to-get-big-and-bulky-fitness-marketing-and-its-effect-on-women/

I find your post quoting a part of my post very rude. If you had included the entire post what I actually started out with is "What works for me ..." So you can keep your snarky accusation that I am "spreading misinformation" to yourself. Someone asked for advice and I gave mine. Take it or leave it.

If the shoe fits.

Heavy weights will not make a woman "bulky", plain and simple. If you don't want to be accused of spreading misinformation, I suggest you educate yourself.

The proof is in the pudding:

Nia Shanks:

1243864474_1841.jpg

Nia's Deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJlTMIp7cc
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i have found that the single most important thing that has helped me is breakfast. having a big 500+ calorie breakfast (about 1/4 of my daily calories) has helped me stay fuller longer, and has helped me avoid crazy snacking in the day, and even found myself enjoying and pacing myself during lunch, not just devouring my sandwich right away.

PS: notice i used words like "I," and "myself." this is what i found to have helped me. something like this is usually implied in a post, but i feel that i must emphasize it in this thread.

PPS: this thread is going to be awesome.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have read about many different ways to burn fat. However, I don't know which one is right. :cry:

What is the most effective way to burn fat?

If you have any references or website please post them. If not, that's OK too. :tongue:
    thanks

Listen to PB67, joejccva71 and anyone else who agrees with them. They have educated themselves about fitness and are kind enough to share the information.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    i have found that the single most important thing that has helped me is breakfast. having a big 500+ calorie breakfast (about 1/4 of my daily calories) has helped me stay fuller longer, and has helped me avoid crazy snacking in the day, and even found myself enjoying and pacing myself during lunch, not just devouring my sandwich right away.

PS: notice i used words like "I," and "myself." this is what i found to have helped me. something like this is usually implied in a post, but i feel that i must emphasize it in this thread.

This advice is great. A lot of the people above have given good information as well. The reality is that you have to find out what works for you. In regards to the people arguing about whether or not you have to eat clean, again, it's what works for you, but I have to say that if we had all been eating clean (like if processed foods never existed) there wouldn't be nearly as many obese people, it's clear that the trend follows over use of processed foods and terribly large portion sizes. I don't eat a lot of processed foods, but I gained weight by making meals that were restaurant sized all of the time! EEK! Good luck to you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is: consume fewer calories than you expend.

This.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Indeed. That may well work for you, and gz on it! The net result is you are eating fewer calories than you are burning. I don't have breakfast at all, to me it's just wasted calories. I'd rather have them when i actually want them, i.e. at night. But, i keep my deficit, and feel better than i ever have.

HOWEVER, the several small meals has been proven that it will not biologically help with fat loss. Sure, you may find it makes not oversnacking easier, but if you have the willpower that isn't an issue.
    Listen to PB67, joejccva71 and anyone else who agrees with them. They have educated themselves about fitness and are kind enough to share the information.

This. Entirely this.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is easy. Create a calorie deficit through diet (and preferably exercise)

Fat loss requires:
    calorie deficit through diet and exercise
    adequate protein (I aim for 1g/lb of BW minimum)
    resistance training (progressively increasing weights to challenge yourself)

These are to promote the preservation of lean body mass.
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    Ok, you're going to get a lot of different feedback on this one. It all comes down to what works for you. But what I've heard is ...
    You can't actually burn fat ... you can gain fat cells but you never lose(or burn) them. What you can do is shrink them.
    What works for me is cardio, cardio, cardio and strength training. Most women want lean (not bulky) muscle so when you do your strength training go for lighter weight and more reps, heavier weight will give you bulky muscle. Eating clean is super important and doing so consistently. Lots of water. I drink smart water often too, helps to prevent dehydration which will cause water retention. OH! and invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). Know your goal heart rate and stay within range of it when working out. It really does make a difference.

Good luck to you and I hope that my post helps.

I lift heavy...and I don't bulk. Women, in general, don't bulk. Unless they are taking something to specifically bulk. I can do cardio until the cows come home and I lose weight, but I don't look lean. I end up the the "skinny fat" look. Eating a good amount of protein and weight lifting help me to drop my BF percentage. The more muscle I have on my body, the more I burn just standing there doing nothing.
    Woman tend to be afraid of lifting weights...and that's a bummer. It aids in fat burning and osteoporosis. IMO, and in most things I've read, weight lifting and ample protein is the way to go!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'd try HIIT- high interval training, run, bike or elliptical like regular for two mins then go as fast and as hard as you can for one. Do this and repeat for 20mins. Burns long after your done working out. The trick is to challenge your body.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler (that won't help you lose fat, but some of what he says will :wink: ). It's changed my life.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Agreed. Very rude.

I'm getting really upset with all the rude comments as well. Opinions can be posted in a polite way.
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler (that won't help you lose fat, but some of what he says will :wink: ). It's changed my life.

I agree! Love this book! Great program for me!
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    No need to bump, the question has been answered multiple times. It seems though that being in a caloric deficit just doesn't make sense to a lot of people, don' t really know why that concept is confusing........I guess the more complicated the concept is made out to be, the easier it is for people to find reasons why it's elusive, who knows.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    LOL........ok then, don't eat after 6:00 pm and keep your fat intake a low as possible........and detox as much as you can.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    bump

Why? The last post was only 2 minutes before yours.