weight training question

Options
Hello, this is my first time posting. I've been on mfp for a few months but I haven't been serious up until now. So i've read weight lifitng is important so I need some help/advice. I'll be using the gym (I have free membership) but I'm not sure how to start. I've read a few articles and I would like to know other people's person experience. My main questions I have are how many times a week? Do you have a certain schedule? (ex. upper body one day, lower body the other) And, how long do these weight trainings typically last for you?

At the end of last year I was weight training but I'm not sure what I was doing was effective. I did it two times a week working both upper and lower (using different machines). The simpler (schedule wise) the better! Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Odrinka
    Odrinka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I generally do a total body lift twice a week because it meshes well with my schedule. I lift really heavy (Only 6-8 reps per set, 3 sets) and I focus on compound movements like barbell squats, bench presses, deadlifts, and chin-ups/pull-ups. I'm only lifting for 30min, and I do a 10min stretch at the end to push the lactic acid build-up out of my muscles. Good luck with finding a routine that works for you!
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try this -- It worked for me.... To BUILD MUSCLE AND LOSE FAT

Day 1 Upper Body Training Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Back/Biceps
    Day 2 Cardiovascular Workout
    Day 3 Lower Body and Abs Training Quads/Hamstrings/Calves/Abdominals
    Day 4 Cardiovascular Workout
    Day 5 Upper Body Training Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Back/Biceps
    Day 6 Cardiovascular Workout
    Day 7 Rest

http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

Worked for me. I have Tried Insanity and P90 - Free Weights and 20 minute HIT Cardio has worked wonders.
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is meet with a trainer to discuss your goals and have a program designed for you.

Generally, most sources recommend working out 3 -5 times per week alternating muscle groups to allow each to recover between sessions. I do 50+ minutes cardio on Mondays and Fridays and strength training Tuesdays - Thursdays. Currently my group is doing Chest/Shoulder/Abs/Triceps on Tuesdays, Legs on Wednesdays, and Back/Traps/Biceps on Thursdays.

I hope this helps you figure out how you're going to schedule your time. Good luck!
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I generally do a total body lift twice a week because it meshes well with my schedule. I lift really heavy (Only 6-8 reps per set, 3 sets) and I focus on compound movements like barbell squats, bench presses, deadlifts, and chin-ups/pull-ups. I'm only lifting for 30min, and I do a 10min stretch at the end to push the lactic acid build-up out of my muscles. Good luck with finding a routine that works for you!

This worked best for me when striving for strength . I could never lean up
    But that is me. I was bulky but not cut. But then again I did not eat right and half but all my workouts. BUT this did work for me. Just left my mid section with a 2 pack until I added cardio
  • rattatatnat
    rattatatnat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is meet with a trainer to discuss your goals and have a program designed for you.

Definately talk to a trainer they can teach you the correct technique and form for each exercise.

My weight loss training schedule was generally 6 days a week 2 cardio days, 2 strength days (alternated) then 1 light cardio/core/stretch day and then 1 super session where I'd do a double session or just go all out in my cardio to burn as many calories as possible, more than what I do in my regular sessions. This was a set 12 week program that I followed and had great success, I trimmed down and also gained a little definition and muscle, my body shape changed heaps.

I am now maintaining and turned down the cardio a bit and do more specified weight training, I'm still losing a little weight but mostly I'm losing CM's and body fat.

Good luck with it, getting into some form of weight training is great for your body!!
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also interested in this question. I'm not trying to bulk up though. I am trying to get smaller - but with lean gains... if that makes sense. I already do a decent amount of cardio. Just need a good weight routine / advice. I just to do body parts (arms one day, legs the next, chest / back, etc.) I am being told though that dynamic lifting or total body lifting (working more than one muscle group in the lift) is better than focusing. Please help!
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a few free sessions with staff trainers who will work with you to create a program that fits your goals and body type. They will teach you how to perform the exercises correctly to prevent injury. It's really worth it to take advantage of this service!