cut BF% when already 'underweight'?

Options
I'm putting this in nutrition since its probably mostly about diet, but I'm not really sure.
Anyway:

Hi - So here's my question. I have a little too much bodyfat for my liking (yeah, I know, that's not a shocker..). It measures between 19 and 21% on my scales, and has crept up over the past year even though my routines have remained constant. I'd like it to be around 17-18% because I get much better muscle definition there. Call me shallow, but I like seeing my abs.

However, for my height I am already classed as underweight by BMI, and I don't want to lose a lot more weight. I am 106-108lbs and 5' 5". I work out with mostly light cardio and do some strength training (dumbbells and crunches, mostly), but don't lift heavy weights because I've got chronic shoulder problems.... and also, to be honest, I'm kind of lazy about it.

Other stuff - I'm on 1370 cals, where I maintain. I usually eat my exercise cals. Occasionally (like today) I go over on a treat day. All very normal stuff. My diary should be open.

So for all you super-lean types out there - can I cut a relatively small amount of BF (1-3%) without losing a lot more weight, and without adding a lot more weight training? Any advice re: diet and workouts etc. greatly appreciated.

PS - yes, I know 'underweight' is not healthy, but BMI is not a perfect tool. I have small frame and am generally in good health.

Replies

• sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    strength train more :)
    strength train more :)
    strength train more :) !!!!

then you can gain muscle / but look more toned and have a lower BF %
  • aliria
    aliria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll refrain from making mean comments/ being jealous that you're complaining about underweight and 21% body fat. BUT at the same time, kudos for being healthy and reaching almost perfection. I shouldn't be upset if you're where I'd like to be :)

So, about your post: If you want more definition/less fat you need to lift weights or change up your routine. Doing light cardio and lifting lil dumbells isn't going to help you a whole lot. Your body is conditioned to that and the muscle definition isn't going to change if you don't change your workout.

My suggestion: If you're not a big fan of weights/don't know a lot about it or are worried about injuries, I'd recommend a class or some kind of group weight lifting class. That way time will fly while youre doing the reps and you'll do NEW exercises that will give you NEW definition.

If that's not in your budget or sounds unapplealing, I'd recommend a good yoga class. It has the same effect as weight lifting only is executed totally differently. No boring reps or annoying gym vibe. Yoga is, as you probably know, great for the soul and getting definition. If you see a long-time yogi, you'll know what I mean. One of my yoga instructors is in her late 50's and has the back definition of a model. Pick a vinyasa, hatha, or flow class. If you're new to yoga, most instructors are very welcoming to new comers and understand that it can be intimidating to be the newbie.

Last, if you're looking for ab definition, you should dial down the carbs. Not necessarily Atkins all the way, but maybe have eggs or bacon for breakfast instead of cereal or toast. Nibble on nuts or greek yogurt instead of a granola bar or the high sugar content in regular yogurt.

Just a few thoughts. And again, even if i'm a bit envious, I have to say good for you - why not shoot for the best you can be? :)
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'll refrain from making mean comments/ being jealous that you're complaining about underweight and 21% body fat. BUT at the same time, kudos for being healthy and reaching almost perfection. I shouldn't be upset if you're where I'd like to be :)

So, about your post: If you want more definition/less fat you need to lift weights or change up your routine. Doing light cardio and lifting lil dumbells isn't going to help you a whole lot. Your body is conditioned to that and the muscle definition isn't going to change if you don't change your workout.

My suggestion: If you're not a big fan of weights/don't know a lot about it or are worried about injuries, I'd recommend a class or some kind of group weight lifting class. That way time will fly while youre doing the reps and you'll do NEW exercises that will give you NEW definition.

If that's not in your budget or sounds unapplealing, I'd recommend a good yoga class. It has the same effect as weight lifting only is executed totally differently. No boring reps or annoying gym vibe. Yoga is, as you probably know, great for the soul and getting definition. If you see a long-time yogi, you'll know what I mean. One of my yoga instructors is in her late 50's and has the back definition of a model. Pick a vinyasa, hatha, or flow class. If you're new to yoga, most instructors are very welcoming to new comers and understand that it can be intimidating to be the newbie.

Last, if you're looking for ab definition, you should dial down the carbs. Not necessarily Atkins all the way, but maybe have eggs or bacon for breakfast instead of cereal or toast. Nibble on nuts or greek yogurt instead of a granola bar or the high sugar content in regular yogurt.

Just a few thoughts. And again, even if i'm a bit envious, I have to say good for you - why not shoot for the best you can be? :)

Thank you! - this is all really great advice. Sorry - not complaining necessarily, just trying to get a little better!