body is mad after jog

Options
So last night I jogged 2 miles and I was all sunshine and rainbows because it was the most I have ever done. Today my urine has been looking like coke. I am not in pain. I have no fever. I have nothing else remarkable to report, so maybe I just over did it??

I have read that marathon runners get messed up sometimes but this was hardly a marathon. Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• kellywaller1
    Options
    I suggest you go to a doctor!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Did you drink enough water to hydrate yourself? I would also call your doctor!
  • torshi
    torshi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Dark urine is usually a sign of dehydration I believe.

I hope all is well.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    dehydrated. How much water do you drink in a day?
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    UTI MAYBE?
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    dehydrated. How much water do you drink in a day?

^^^ I'd bet on this.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I usually average 72-80 oz of water a day, I carry a cup of water with me everywhere. I figured I would call the doc office in the morning and see what they think, and in the meantime I have started to write down my water intake so I have a real # to say if this continues. I really don't feel bad at all - but it just looks so alarming.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    Many runners get blood in their urine when they don't hydrate enough. The bladder walls rub together and begin to bleed.

Hematuria (blood in your urine) is not all uncommon in runners. IT can be harmless, or it can be *very critical*. Amount of blood is an issue, too, but realize that minute amounts of blood can taint the urine a deep red (ie, it doesn't take much.)

Coffee-colored urine and kidney pain are classic signs for myoglobinuria. Intense, prolonged physical activity can damage muscle enough to release muscle protein into the bloodstream, where it collects in the kidneys.

If this was the first incidence of dark urine, I'd get it looked at if the color doesn't return to normal after about 24 hours. This is assuming that you are continuing to produce urine and not dehydrated.

For many runners, slightly bloody urine is normal. For many others, it is not. For me, it is uncommon on short runs but can occur during my long runs, so the first sign of blood is a warning for me to be sure I'm rehydrating properly. This includes ample fluid and electrolyte replacements. If the red becomes more pronounced, I stop and save myself for another day.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Hmmm, Darn, I was hoping for 30 posts saying "meh- happens to everybody."

Well I am a little past 24 hours since the exercise, but maybe another night of sleep will help.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Blood in the urine is not normal after such a short run. Go to a doctor. Blood in the urine is a sign of a lot of bad juju.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    that would totally freak me out!! I hope it all ends up well for you.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Boooo! I am not cleared for exercise, and it was not dehydration. More labs and follow up on Thur.