Resistance Bands same as Weights...

tammylwv
tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
edited October 3 in Fitness and Exercise
What I mean by the topic name is if I do resistance band exercises would that be just like I do weights and should rest between work out days?

i was looking at all the stuff I have and that thought popped in my head and I wanted to see what your thoughts were on this. I would think that I would treat them as weights but I just don't know for sure. Thanks! :)

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    They should be treated as weights in that sense absolutely. When working out a lot with weights, resistance bands can be used to provide a different form of resistance to your muscles which could help with strength gains and reach those stabilizer muscles. I use these intermittently in power lifting and it will need time off as you suspected.
  • torenalley
    torenalley Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, they are the same type of exercise: resistance training.
    You are just exchanging the resistance of gravity (a weight) with the resistance of the band. =)
    You should always rest a day between so that your muscles have a chance to repair and rebuild... and make you stronger!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    They can be used to supplement weight training, but they aren't the same as weights. For one thing, they don't provide resistance through the full range of motion.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    They can be used to supplement weight training, but they aren't the same as weights. For one thing, they don't provide resistance through the full range of motion.

agree with this.

And when you get stronger they tend to snap a lot :tongue:

In saying that, I currently use my resistance bands everyday for injury rehab and for that purpose they are perfect.
This discussion has been closed.