too much sodium

Options
how do you limit sodium intake? I always go over...

exaggerating..but I think I get too much sodium in my diet

Replies

• significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The big one is: Don't eat pre-processed foods, e.g. fast food, frozen dinners, bought pasta, curry and casserole sauces or powder mixes, and salty condiments. Don't eat salty snack foods.

Don't add salt to your food at the table, or in cooking.

To reduce your sodium intake further, choose "no added salt" or "salt reduced" products, avoid cheese, sausages and sandwich meats as well as salty sauces like soy sauce, and consider making your own (no added salt) stock and bread.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to limit my sodium. I eat a lot of processed food such as bread, sandwich meats, cheese, skillet dinners, etc. Only fast food I eat is Subway, which is extremely high in sodium.

The only way I can see myself staying under MFP's suggested sodium intake is by eating fresh fruits and vegetables along with unprocessed meats. Is that gonna happen? Probably not.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water, make sure you urine is nice and light, work up a good sweat often, and you'll be OK.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water, make sure you urine is nice and light, work up a good sweat often, and you'll be OK.

Not exactly true. Water doesn't counteract sodium, potassium does. <b>significance</b> pretty much covered the ways to keep your sodium down. That said unless you have problems with high blood pressure, going over your sodium a little may not hurt you. You'll have to find your own balance with what works best for you. I use salt sparingly, but also eat lots of fresh fruit and veg. I prefer to season with herbs and spices.
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second the idea that a high sodium diet can come from processed foods, eating out, fast foods, etc. Soups and lunch meats are esp. high. There are a lot of hidden sodium sources such as MSG and other preservatives in processed foods. I read somewhere that those hidden sources are worse than the stuff that tastes salty like potato chips.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i dont pay attention to sodium