side cramps?

Options
Lately, I have been getting a bad cramp in my right side during cardio. I usually do the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, 6 days a week. I drink lots of water and always eat something before working out. When my side cramps, I usually slow down a bit, and work through it. Any ideas on what causes this or how to stop it? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• hairprincess
    Options
    Lately, I have been getting a bad cramp in my right side during cardio. I usually do the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, 6 days a week. I drink lots of water and always eat something before working out. When my side cramps, I usually slow down a bit, and work through it. Any ideas on what causes this or how to stop it? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Don't know what causes it. Try doing some side planks before your workout to stretch it out.
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    I read an article in runner's world that said cramping like that is usually caused by not getting enough oxygen - try regulating your breathing to deep calm breaths. But to be sure - google it and see what articles you find.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Make sure you try to keep your breathing even. When I was going to a gym with a trainer he said to try to breathe in for 3 seconds and out for 3 seconds, deep clean slow breaths. When you start huffing and puffing your chest muscles get tight and they'll cause cramps.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    lol.....stevie....jinx
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM ON THE ELLIPTICAL, BUT I DO HAVE CRAMPS WHEN I DO MY SITUPS AND MY TRAINER TOLD ME IT WAS BC I DRINK SO MUCH WATER DURING MY WORKOUT, SO HE TOLD ME TO DO MY SITUPS AND CRUNCHES BEFORE. MAYBE SOMEONE HERE WILL HAVE ADVICE OR ASK A TRAINER.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Whenever I used to walk fairly soon AFTER eating and or drinking a bunch, I'd get those side cramps. I solved the problem by NOT eating or drinking before.
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I get them once in a while and i have to slow down too. I don't know what causes them either. Im not much help but at least you know you are not the only one out there 'cuz i know exactly what you are talking about!
  • ldeball
    ldeball Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I used to have side cramps, they found out my potassium was low. Just a thought.

Leigh
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I get them in my side (I call 'em 'stitches' in my side) when I run occasionally.
    I've heard breathing through them will help. It's a muscular cramp, I believe.
    I just slow my roll when I get them, breath until they are done, then start back up :smile:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When I had them in track my coach made me put my hands behind my head (like you do for sit-ups) to open my airway. He said it was from not getting enough oxygen too!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Unless you are a diabetic or have some other metabolic disease stop eating before you work out. Whatever you are eating before working out could have enough sodium in it to contribute some cramping. Cramps are "generally" the result of too much salt and not enough water. Also, if your goal is to loose fat weight then you want to exercise when your blood sugars are low so that your hormones attack fat instead of glucose for energy. Eat something that includes a complex low glycemic sugar about 2 to 3 hours before working out. To get enough water in you without over doing it drink 17 - 20 oz of water two hours before working out, spread out over that two hours. Drink 7 - 10 oz of water every 10 - 20 minutes of exercise. Post exercise drink 16 - 24 oz of water for every pound lost during exercise.