Anyone had advanced cholesterol testing (NMR) and treatment

Options
cba4994
cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
I have had high cholesterol since my early teens and being in the healthcare field, I know that there are now advanced tests such as NMR that look at more than just the total chol, LDL, HDL ect... I also know that some physicians think this is all a bunch of whooey. I am inclined to give it some credit and have recently had those tests done and am now on specific medication/supplementation specifically derived from those results. Has anyone had these sort of tests done and had follow-up tests indicating that the new meds made an improvement. I was taking a MVI, super B complex, fish oil and pravastatin and am now taking MVI, deplin, Niacin, apple pectin, aspirin (to prevent flushing), fish oil and zocor. Thanks.

Replies

• lilwhitedove11
    lilwhitedove11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to find out what all the initials are in your post?
    Please do forgive me.. I am not a nurse, or anything official, but I am interested in the subject.
    I have never had cholesteral problems, and all of the sudden it's an issue.
    In January 2011 my cholesteral was " border line" ( never explained to me what that meant)
    I was perscribed provastin ( might be mispelled) and the last cholesteral check, was sky high.
    I have discontinued all red meats, shrimp, dairy, and fried things. I eat mostly steamed everything.
    I have lost over 45 lbs, this year so far, but my cholesteral is shooting higher than ever.
    I ask the doctor, and he says " it happens that way sometimes" How am I ever to get a handle
    on this if the health care team and I can't get it right? So, you see. I am interested in anything. . .
    Christine:cry:
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    LDL stands for low density lipids. It's what is commonly referred to as the bad cholesterol and depending on your risk factors it should be no higher than about 160 though preferablly less than 100 would be optimal. HDL stands for high density lipids and is the good choloesterol and actually has protective properties. It should be optimally above around 50. A very low HDL is thought to be a greater risk factor than a borderline high LDL. Google the national cholesterol educational program (NCEP). If you are not getting good results with Pravastatin, there are several other meds that may be more helpful.. I would maybe shop around for a more proactive health care provider if I were you. Hope that helps.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I just recently got put on Lipitor after having an LDL number of 166. Five weeks after that I started my "diet". After three months on the Lipitor and a 31 pound weight loss over seven weeks my LDL was down to 94.