weekends are my downfall

Options
Hey,
I was just wondering how many other people have/had this problem -- drinking almost a days worth of calories in liquor, or overeating on a saturday or sunday (or both!) and getting that feeling that since you've already gone over you may as well keep eating/drinking whatever you want..!

If so, how did you overcome this to become consistent throughout the week with your cal intake? I'm great at controlling cals by cooking delish healthy food throughout the week its just when it hits friday I let loose even if I pre-plan etc! :(

I've definitely decided to cut down on the drinking or cut it out completely, its not worth it but it seems fine when everyone around me is eating and drinking however much they please and staying consistently seriously thin or not worrying about it!

Would love some help or advice,
thanks so much :)

Replies

• jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    DITTO!!!! I've cut out the boozing and save it for maybe once a month (it saves money as well as calories).

I have a very structured routine during the week and the lack of this at the weekends really throws me! My water intake is virtually non-existant and I eat *bad* food at abnormal times!

I need to figure out a weekend routine so that I can stop losing the plot!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    mine are more so but not due to the drinking as i very rarley drink since i have been on a healthy eating plan! and no spare cals for it either...(even if i do make my own still )lol..
    mine are the kids being home from school if they are good i will let them cook in the kitchen! and if they re bad they make me eat lol
    no win for me! even tho i do always exersice on the weekends! :)
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I try to increase the exercise load at the weekend and restrict the booze to two days. It was working well until this weekend when I went way over my planned drinking. I am not even going to try to record Saturday.

Anyway, that is what has worked for me for the last few months and I'll be going back to it this weekend.

Good Luck
    Phil
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have just left a message to the same effect on my friends news feed!

I know exactly how you feel, I am good all week and come Friday night it is a bottle of wine which in itself is not too bad, but then the inevitable snacks come out! I also tend to go out for a few drinks on a Saturday afternoon with my girlfriends dad and end up eating crisps and nuts then ordering a Dominos or something equally calorific for dinner.

Notwithstanding the above, I have found that by being honest and accounting for everything it has made me think "Do I really need another beer?" Or I will only have the one packet of crisps instead of a packet to accompany every drink!

I think the point I am trying to make is that if you cut everything out completely then you will most likely fail, this is after all suppose to be a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. I have done well in the past with diets but always pile the pounds back on after a few months when I slip back into my old ways. I have lost 24 pounds now over the last 10 months and am determined that I am going to keep it off this time, this is despite the fact that I am still having my fun at the weekends.

Good luck!

A.
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    I'm thinking you probably have to go into any drinking situation with a definite pre-set limit. I didn't on Friday and Saturday and had way more than I intended. Tracked it all, though...!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Weekends are difficult for me too, My husband and I have been so used to going out at the weekend for coffee (and cake) and then a big calorie laden meal in the evening followed by drinking and very little exercise.
    The last two weekends (and this weekend coming up) have been heavy for drinking, I've logged all the drinks and have gone over.
    I've been trying to get an extra workout in at the weekend and then keeping a closer eye on what I've been eating and making better choices when we eat out.

I just figure that it can't be anywhere near as bad as I used to be! I hope!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I used to be all-or-nothing and, if I slipped, just figured I might as well give up. My problem was, it might take me days/weeks/months to get back on track once I'd done a serious slip-up. I'm not doing that now and it's really made a huge difference in my mind-set and I'm off the emotional self-blame rollercoaster. How? Calorie cycling a/k/a zig-zagging. This works well for me because, on days I exercise, I always seem to have a hard time eating enough. In fact, there are days I can't even get in my minimum of 1200 calories much less eat back my exercise calories. So I bank them and allow myself to eat/drink those banked calories guilt-free at social events.

This doesn't mean I go all-out and eat/drink anything I want. But it does allow me some leeway to have a few splurges. In fact, after I read about this idea, I realized that this is what I used to do back in my thin days just naturally. I would just naturally eat light a few days after a big splurge until the bloat went away. I wonder why I ever quit doing that. Oh, well....

Anyway, you can search here for more information on it and/or google for other websites that discuss it.

Oh, if any of you are using one of the smartphone apps, they have a report feature that the website doesn't. When you check out your weekly calories, it gives you a number of how many calories under you are for the week so it's easier to see just how many banked calories you have to spend.

Hope this helps.
  • gainingalife
    gainingalife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies; some great advice, I think I definitely need to factor in at least one day of exercise on the weekends. Just went back and did my friday and saturday calories and they were an absolute shocker! :(
    So tracking (or pre-setting a limit) everything feels like it reeeally is going to help

Thanks for your help, good luck to everyone else with a similar problem!! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i read this and thought i wrote it. this is exactly what i do!
    I have cut down on the drinking and i stick to gin and slim or something clear and a slim line tonic over wine but i munch comfort food at the weekend!
    Hey,
    I was just wondering how many other people have/had this problem -- drinking almost a days worth of calories in liquor, or overeating on a saturday or sunday (or both!) and getting that feeling that since you've already gone over you may as well keep eating/drinking whatever you want..!

If so, how did you overcome this to become consistent throughout the week with your cal intake? I'm great at controlling cals by cooking delish healthy food throughout the week its just when it hits friday I let loose even if I pre-plan etc! :(

I've definitely decided to cut down on the drinking or cut it out completely, its not worth it but it seems fine when everyone around me is eating and drinking however much they please and staying consistently seriously thin or not worrying about it!

Would love some help or advice,
    thanks so much :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies; some great advice, I think I definitely need to factor in at least one day of exercise on the weekends. Just went back and did my friday and saturday calories and they were an absolute shocker! :(
    So tracking (or pre-setting a limit) everything feels like it reeeally is going to help

Thanks for your help, good luck to everyone else with a similar problem!! :)

I am going to try and log everything before In eat it to make sure i am thinking about what i am doing. my main problem is eating without thinking at the weekends

also I am going to try and get out of the house more. less lazy weekends in front of the TV and more weekend walks and trips!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    While I'm quite strict with tracking and sticking to my limits during the week, my weekends are my 'rest days' -- by this, I mean that I log in on the weekends but I don't track my food or exercise. I basically eat what I want, within reason, but also fit in exercise as well. I am still making progress, and it works for me.

Granted, my weight loss may be slower than some, but I'm fine with that. I don't have a deadline for getting fit and healthy. I'm not really going by weight anyway -- more by measurements, how I feel, and clothing size.

For this to be able to be a *sustainable* way of life for me, this way of doing things is the best for me, personally. I have tried tracking on weekends and it became a chore. I don't want this to become something I don't enjoy. So now... I just enjoy my weekends, make the healthiest choices possible, and get back on track during the week. I'm happy with how things are going.