Balancing calories/fat throughout the day??

Options
I am not usually hungry in the mornings - I force myself to eat breakfast because I know it's important, but it's usually fruit or fat free yogurt. I don't really start to get hungry until mid-afternoon and towards the evening.

My question is: If I am eating every 3-4 hours all day, but save most of my calories and fat grams until mid-afternoon and dinnertime, is that bad?? I DO eat and have healthy snacks all day long - and a small lunch, but I get hungry later on, no matter if I had a big breakfast and lunch or not.

Like right now, it's 3 p.m. and I have about 900 calories and 30 grams of fat to spare for dinner. (and that's with already eating a banana, a PB&J sandwich, triscuits, a Slimfast snack bar - and an adequate amount of water). Should I be spreading it out more throughout the day? I don't want to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry . . . . :frown:

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I am not usually hungry in the mornings - I force myself to eat breakfast because I know it's important, but it's usually fruit or fat free yogurt. I don't really start to get hungry until mid-afternoon and towards the evening.

My question is: If I am eating every 3-4 hours all day, but save most of my calories and fat grams until mid-afternoon and dinnertime, is that bad?? I DO eat and have healthy snacks all day long - and a small lunch, but I get hungry later on, no matter if I had a big breakfast and lunch or not.

Like right now, it's 3 p.m. and I have about 900 calories and 30 grams of fat to spare for dinner. (and that's with already eating a banana, a PB&J sandwich, triscuits, a Slimfast snack bar - and an adequate amount of water). Should I be spreading it out more throughout the day? I don't want to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry . . . . :frown:
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Oh yes, I forgot to add that I burned about 500 calories from exercise today, too - so that's why I have a lot of calories and fat to spend . . .
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    My trainer says to eat like a king for breakfast and then eat every 3 hours ending with a lighter dinner. He does stress however that you have to get your minimum calories in, so that may mean a bit more than light dinner if the calories and carbs are needed to reach the calorie goal toward the end of the day. He said the secret is to eat a balance of carbs and proteins together with each snack/meal and water. Good luck!
  • NoraEE
    NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's easier to lose weight if you eat the bulk of your calories early in the day rather than at night since your metabolism slows down when you sleep. That said, I can't imagine it'd be much better to force yourself to eat a big breakfast when you're not hungry for it. Maybe you could try slowly shifting to a larger, later-in-the-day lunch where you eat most of your calories so that your dinner is smaller.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you lose weight based on a daily calorie deficit. You burn the same amount of calories each day (without exercise) so if you eat the same amount of calories (what MFP gives you) you will have the same calorie deficit no matter WHEN you eat them! So, eat when you feel hungry and stay within your calorie limit and you will do fine!!!