Pregnant and Trying to Maintain

Options
I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and shooting for a healthy 20-25lb weight gain that my dr. reccomended to me without having risks of diabetes. I already gained 15 in my first trimester and I am trying to maintain my weight durring my second. Then I would be on a healthy track for my entire pregnancy.

Any ideas on how i can do this?

Replies

• Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm would like to say CONGRATULATIONS:) Also, I wish you the best.

I'm not sure how to advise on this, but I would say keep close contact with your doctor and ask him the limits of what you can do. Try to keep your nutrition around what he is suggesting and don't try to work too hard if possible. If you go over, just stay mentally strong and do not let it stress you out.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, but you should only be eating about 200-300 calories over your maintenance level. You NEED to eat these calories for the health of your baby. Eat healthy, watch your carbs --- but you don't need to eat for two. You can also exercise --- anything you were doing before pregnancy, you can do now.

Sorry, other than that, there is nothing you can really do. You might just gain weight.

With my second, I was okay with a 30 pound gain, but really wanted to stick to 20 because I was already 10 pounds heavier than I wanted to me. BUT --- I gained 40 pounds! My baby girl was 9 pounds at birth. There is nothing you can do about that really.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I agree, make sure it's okay with your doctor, but set your calories to maintenance, then add 300.

Also, I had gestational diabetes with my first baby (it was genetic and not related to my weight). The diet I was on was pretty similar to say South Beach phase II. If you really think you are at risk, you could start watching your carbs now. I could have 45 grams of carbs for breakfast, and lunch, 15 for 2 snacks a day, and 60 for dinner (but I'm tall, the lady I met with the nutritionist with was short and could only have 45 for dinner as well).