Running Questions

Avalonis
Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
Hey all, I have a few questions for those of you that are big time runners.

I used to run @ 10mph for 1-2 miles, and my heart rate would be in the upper 160s, occasionally it would be in the lower 170s.

I stopped tracking if for a few weeks, and then lately I've noticed I can seem to get my heart rate up above 140! I'll run at the same speed, but my legs are tired and I feel like I am dragging. When I check my heart rate, its very low compared to where it used to be running the same speed for the same distance.

Anyone know if this is normal? Does everyone have days where they can't seem to get it pumping and going?

Replies

• dukater
    dukater Posts: 2 Member
    Try to do some interval training on your runs.....run faster for 2 minutes....slow down for 2 minutes and repeat. This might help bring some variety to your run and it also makes the time go by faster!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    The more I run the lower my heart rate gets but I've never had the dragging feeling unless I was running a hang over off. Maybe you're dehydrated?
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    I don't know you at all, but I went through something similar when I was in my mid twenties. For me I simply burned out, too low a body fat %, too little protein & fat in my food and far, far too much exercise. Took me months to recover...

the doctors even thought it could be some kind of allergy and gave me steroid spray but nothing but rest worked.

You could simply be in a state of over training if you are doing a lot...

As I said I don't now you so that's just a wild guess.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    read your own HIIT blog.
    you've got all the answers! :tongue:

add intervals and/or hills to get your heart pumping.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    That's a pretty substantial drop. I'd say go to a doctor if the issue persists, but everyone has off days.
  • Avalonis
    The more I run the lower my heart rate gets but I've never had the dragging feeling unless I was running a hang over off. Maybe you're dehydrated?

Oh, that might be. I've been drinking a LOT more lately.
  • Avalonis
    read your own HIIT blog.
    you've got all the answers! :tongue:

add intervals and/or hills to get your heart pumping.

Hmmm, I have been slacking on the Hill sprints. Maybe I'll start them up again....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I believe it's something to do with your working heart rate. As you get fitter, your resting heart rate is lower so the difference between your resting heart rate and your maximum hart rate is larger. So you can work at a lower heart rate than you used to but still perform at the same speed and it might still be the same percentage over the resting rate. I'm no expert, so do please Google it.

It sounds to me like your cardiovascular system has improved faster than your leg muscles hence the dragging feeling. Try adding in some sprints, hills or tempo sessions.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    It is because your cardiovascular health is improving, plus you have lactic acid weighing your legs down from building muscle.
    Some days my legs just won't go, I will give my legs a little break for a couple of days, then I will have one of the fastest runs I can possible have. I don't do weights on my legs because it just seems to make it worse. All runners have good and bad runs. I have gotten to the point where I just enjoy my runs and not worry so much about my heartrate, or anything else for that matter. I do long runs.
  • Avalonis
    I don't know you at all, but I went through something similar when I was in my mid twenties. For me I simply burned out, too low a body fat %, too little protein & fat in my food and far, far too much exercise. Took me months to recover...

You could simply be in a state of over training if you are doing a lot...

If this was a month ago, I might agree with you, but I've really not been pushing myself overly hard lately, and I have a pretty high BF % still (14%)

Still, something to keep in mind I guess.