Breathing

Options
Well, in good shape, I am NOT. I do walk sometimes up to 5 miles in a day but I have recently been inspired to start running. I can't. Not for long anyway. I run about a quarter mile and feel like my lungs have ice crystals in them. I have a hard time with my breathing. The rest of me could continue but I can't breathe so I stop and walk (or hang my head by my knees for a few minutes). Any ideas of how to get my lungs to cooperate with the rest of me? I have no health issues other than I smoked for 21 years but quit 10 years ago. My weight - well, a bit of an issue...I am 5'2" and weigh 160 pounds. No asthma or allergies.

Replies

• donitchell
    donitchell Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have just started running & i found breathing an issue too, i read somewhere to breathe in for a count of 3 & out for a count of 2, this helped me, hope it is of some help to you.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Try a run/walk strategy like couch to 5k, it allows your breathing to settle in-between the running. Truth is that at first it's going to be hard and only time and perseverance makes the breathing easier. But it does get better quite quickly :smile: