Bikram Yoga (hot yoga)

Options
FR89
FR89 Posts: 186 Member
I am trying to gym 4-5times a week (its been 3 weeks for far ) but im trying to look for new exercises and ways to help me burn some cals, and I have come across bikram yoga. It's meant to be practicing yoga in a heated room which helps you sweat and also tones your muscles. I have never done yoga before but I am tempted to try it at least once.

Has anyone tired it before and know if its helped them lose weight?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Doing yoga in a heated room will not burn that many more calories than doing yoga in a non-heated room. You will feel like you burn more. Think of it this way: will you burn more calories if you ran outside in the summer than if you ran outside in the winter? Even difficult classes don't burn any more calories than a good weights or calisthenics workout.

That said, you should give yoga a try. Most studios offer your first class for free - so try a bunch of different methods. The most you'll be out is that 90 minutes. You never know, you might find one you like and stick with it - which is the best exercise you can get.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I normally attend spinning and zumba classes with my normal cardio gyming sessions. But i thought bikram yoga might help burn more faster. I'm not sure how well i'll do in the heat, :frown: but i will definitely give it a go this weekend!:smile:

thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram Yoga and did a class at 5:30 this morning. It's a fabulous workout and I'm SURE it burns more calories than a normal yoga class (which I find boring). Some info from my studio's website for you:

"Bikram scientifically designed this 90-minute program to deliver total health through the balancing and strengthening of every system in the human body in order to prevent illness and injury, promote weight loss, and limit the effects of aging. In addition, the series of postures combine skills of concentration, patience, determination and self-control that increase mental clarity and reduce stress. Bikram yoga is done in a heated room to warm your muscles, prevent injury, allow a deeper workout and cleanse the body by flushing toxins. Each posture is completed twice. The first set warms the body up and the second set enables you to work deeper."

I have found the weeks I do 2 Bikram Yoga classes my weight loss has increased. I suggest to give it a try. Let me know how you go

Kathy :happy:
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bumpitty bump
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    I got into Yoga doing P90X of all things and loved it. So when we had a new Yoga studio open in my home town I went and checked it out. They do hot yoga there. It was pretty good. I found that I had a lot more flexibility and range of movement in the hot room. It's great. You should try it. You'll defiantly burn off a lot calories.