Yellow Rice

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
I LOVE yellow rice and am planning on making chicken and yellow rice for dinner. My quesion is can I put raw chicken in with my rice as it cooks? I normally add already cooked chicken as the rice cooks. Any ideas? Any recipes would be good we well. Thanks and happy Monday!

Replies

• emilyrthompson
    Options
    If the water comes to a boil, you would be fine to do that, Salmonella or any other harmful bacteria would be killed at 165F. It does seem a little strange to do that though :)
  • Laurandy0912
    Laurandy0912 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No it is too risky that you would get sick from salmonella or other raw poultry bacteria. You should cook the chicken first and add the chicken at the end of the cooking time.
  • lucasmum
    Options
    Hi. I cook raw chicken in with my rice a lot. As long as it's a cut that will cook through in the time it takes your rice to cook (e.g. chopped chicken breast), it'll be fine. But if it's say a thigh on the bone, it would probably take longer to cook than the rice. Hope this helps.
  • lucasmum
    Options
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cook my chicken first then use the broth to cook my rice in. I probably wouldn't do the rice with the chicken unless it was a crockpot and it cooked slow all day and it was good and hot. But thats just me. I also put some turkey sausage in mine. I used to live in SC and they called it chicken bawg (sp?) and loved it. Yellow rice, chicken and onions, and turkey sausage links. It is sooo good!!!!!