What's a good affordable HRM?

Options
So I want to get a HRM but I'd like to not spend over $100. I did see http://www.bodymedia.com/ is a really good one but preferably I would prefer to not spend $175 but I will if I have to. I enjoy lifting weights a lot and find it extremely comforting but I want to know how much my work is paying off.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am wondering too - great Christmas present for me!
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I found this on consumer reports.

sent staffers home with the monitors to see how easy they were to use.

The Timex Personal Trainer was our top performer, but all except the LifeSpan, a model worn like a ring, will provide a consistently accurate heart-rate reading. The chest-strap models allow you to move freely, since you can get your heart-rate reading without touching anything. The wrist-only models require you to touch the device to get a reading. We don't recommend them for cyclists, and runners or swimmers might find them distracting.

Unless otherwise noted, all models have a watch, stopwatch, alarm, backlight, settable target zones, and a zone alarm that beeps or flashes when you dip above or below your set zone. Most have a calorie counter, a feature that we did not test.

CR Best Buy
    These models offer the best combination of performance and price. All are Recommended.

Recommended
    These are high-scoring models that stand out for the reasons below.

Those with a "recovery" feature
    CR BEST BUY AND TOP RATED AT $50.00,Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 ,

Others high rated
    Timex Zone Trainer T5J031 ,
    New Balance N5 have a heart-rate-recovery feature, which can be used to measure how many beats your heart rate drops within a minute or two, depending on the model.
    A bonus for walkers
    Bowflex Fit Trainer Plus has a built-in pedometer.
  • aarbaje
    Options
    Yes, I would like to know too!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I bit the bullet almost a year ago and bought one. I use bodymedia and love it.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4....Polar is amazing and incredibly reliable. The FT7 is also great (I have it too), but it hits the 100 mark.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4....Polar is amazing and incredibly reliable. The FT7 is also great (I have it too), but it hits the 100 mark.

This. I got my FT4 on Amazon for $60 I think. My husband got an FT7, I think it was right under $100 also on Amazon.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

This.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above poster. I bought the Polar FT4 on Amazon for $60-70. It is a simplier verson of the Polar HRMs, but it does tell you your heart rate calories burned and duration of work out which is all I needed.
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options

This.

That FT7 is looking really nice and It's not that terrible I might get it at REI since some online prices are the same with shipping.