efficient calorie counting question

Options
I was wondering...
Is it better to count up a certain number of calories per week, per day, or per meal?
I'm asking this because I know binging is not good for the body.
However I usually don't eat the 15oo calories I have been given per day.
I know that sounds dumb, but if I eat until I'm not hungry it seems odd to try to make myself eat more.
That being said I am the one who made this body overweight so my logic may be very flawed.
On a normal day, eating what I typically eat (without any thought of weight loss) I intake about 1300-1400 cals.
On lower days (1000 cals) I noticed that I binge the next day, closer to (2000.)
Is it just me or is my appetite all over the place?!
Somebody help me out, please!:sad:

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was wondering...
    Is it better to count up a certain number of calories per week, per day, or per meal?
    I'm asking this because I know binging is not good for the body.
    However I usually don't eat the 15oo calories I have been given per day.
    I know that sounds dumb, but if I eat until I'm not hungry it seems odd to try to make myself eat more.
    That being said I am the one who made this body overweight so my logic may be very flawed.
    On a normal day, eating what I typically eat (without any thought of weight loss) I intake about 1300-1400 cals.
    On lower days (1000 cals) I noticed that I binge the next day, closer to (2000.)
    Is it just me or is my appetite all over the place?!
    Somebody help me out, please!:sad:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It does seem odd to eat when you arent hungry. To stop myself from binge eating, I eat 6 small meals everyday, and break up my calories. I am always under though. Lately i have been forcing myself to hit my calories, and I have been loosing weight. So I dont know. :happy:
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I think it is better to count calories per day. Sometimes I'm all over the place like that too. One thing that has really helped me lately is balancing your food. You really need a good mix of protein, carbs, fruit & veggies, ect. And try eating food that is high in fiber, and whole grains, ect. That will keep you feeling full and satisfied. Also, it is helpful it you plan out your meals for the week.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I know its hard to do, but try to stay close to your calorie requirements. If you are under 100 one day and over 100 the next...i think thats pretty okay. However, i dont think its okay to be 200 under 3 days then over 600 one day! ONE day won't ruin your weight loss (over or under) but several may. So, try to stay close to your requirements. Give yourself + or - 100 each way (its hard to be right on target), but try to stay close!

You seem to have been doing a great job already! Just keep up the good work!
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's probably best to count every day.
    I think it's 3500 calories burned is one pound loss. So if you create that deficit then it would seem to me that you would lose that pound regardless of when you take in or burn the calories.
    While you can plan ahead to not eat as many calories if you know you will be attending an event where you know you'll eat a little more and if you save up calories to account for it, you don't want to be in the situation where you have to starve yourself on another day to accommodate the day that you overeat.
    Balance is key!! You're doing great!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think it is better to count calories per day. Sometimes I'm all over the place like that too. One thing that has really helped me lately is balancing your food. You really need a good mix of protein, carbs, fruit & veggies, ect. And try eating food that is high in fiber, and whole grains, ect. That will keep you feeling full and satisfied. Also, it is helpful it you plan out your meals for the week.
    I must confess this is something I struggle with. I was just talking to one of the girls about the cost of buying fruits and vegetables. I know it's something I should do, obviously. But with 3 sons and a husband (who all eat more than me any day), I tend to crap out. I make sure the kids get fresh fruit everyday, and we all eat frozen veggies for dinner. But after using this food diary for awhile I noticed some deficiencies in the non-starchy, non-filler foods department. I'm really gonna have to cut back somewhere it get some fruits and veggies in. Especially, since the whole point of my being here is to learn to be healthier.:wink:
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    i count calories at every meal. Make sure that i nibble on something at every meal. MFP does a good job at separating stuff.