Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Beginner with Fibro

Hello everyone! I'm new to MFP, but not new to trying to loose weight and trying to start exercising--trying is the operative word here :wink: I have had Fibromyalgia for 15 years now and it makes loosing weight harder. I know I have to start being more active, but I'm afraid to cross that thin line between "doing and over-doing". Anyway, I've made a committment to MFP and really want to do it this time!

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    You can do it!!

In the long run losing weight will help. Having more fat causes inflamation, which only makes your pain worse. I have Lupus, and losing weight has made me feel like a new person. Now I rarely have to take anti inflammatories! Stick with it and you'll be glad.

Just gradually up your activity, to keep from overdoing it at first. Start walking, and then when you can sustain for long periods (30 plus minutes), look into Couch to 5K to get you running. Or try videos or classes. Just start low intensity first!
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    I have fibro also, almost 10 years since the diagnosis, but I just recently started to accept it. Most of my MFP buddies dont even know it.

I do tend to 'over' do it. I dont like to complain about the pain, actually I am used to it. I just keep going, sometimes past the threshold. I am usually at an 7 or 8 (pain level), but when I workout, the next day I am at a 10. I dont take any meds.

Couch to 5K is an excellent recommendation. I used it to get my stamina up.

I figure in the end, once the weight is gone, it will be worth it. Ah well, Call me hard headed, most do :-)

Good luck!
  • southrenlady
    southrenlady Posts: 12 Member
    I have had this for a long time an yes you just start out by doing some walking and stretch out first, I also have RA, and diabetic to , boot plus a few other things, you will get sore an tired but wont cause damage, if it is to much just back down some ,your body is not used to the activity and then build up endurance ,even if you start with 15 minutes at first it is a start an then keep adding time and other activity such as weights.
  • ljr9150
    ljr9150 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you all for your help and support. I did check out the Couch to 5K website you recommended. Unfortunately, I have had two surgeries on each knee, so running is pretty much out of the question--at least for now. I'm going to try to find a walking program.