Heart rate

Options
Ghlt4
Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
I have been using the treadmill and zumba as my main exercise, for about 3 months. I am 5'6 and 39 yrs old. What should my maximum heart rate be? Also what is a good average heart rate?

Replies

• Srbrosseau
    Srbrosseau Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say without knowing what kind of shape you're in. You could just use a generic heart rate calculation to figure out your max heart rate (MHR), etc.

I"m 34 and when I'm doing intense, burst workouts, I get it up to about 185 for three minutes at a time.

However, for long runs, I try to keep it under 140 the whole time.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Max heart rate is based on age, there is a good calculator and tips here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

If you are in great shape you will have to work much harder to elevate your heart rate.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    It's really hard to say without knowing what kind of shape you're in. You could just use a generic heart rate calculation to figure out your max heart rate (MHR), etc.

I"m 34 and when I'm doing intense, burst workouts, I get it up to about 185 for three minutes at a time.

However, for long runs, I try to keep it under 140 the whole time.

I do 30 mins with interval running. So I would not say I am in great shape. When running at 5.4 it goes to 165-167. When walking in-between 3.6 it rests at 128-132.
    I am female 5'6 age 39.

How do I know if it is going too high?
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Max heart rate is based on age, there is a good calculator and tips here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

If you are in great shape you will have to work much harder to elevate your heart rate.

Thanks for the link. I just used it and it confirmed what I thought it should be. Which explains why I didn't feel good after my workout today.