Missing savoury pastry

Options
I absolutely adore sausage rolls, pork pies, pasties, quiches...just about everything that is top of the forbidden list.

THis is a cause of much upset ... does anyone know of any good low(er) fat alternatives?

Yours in pastry-deprived desperation,

DJ

Replies

• DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore sausage rolls, pork pies, pasties, quiches...just about everything that is top of the forbidden list.

THis is a cause of much upset ... does anyone know of any good low(er) fat alternatives?

DJ
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You could do an egg white (or egg substitute) quiche with veggies and lowfat cheese. The sell some really yummy pre-made ones at costco! Or you could make your own! I looooove quiches, so I make the lower-fat version sometimes! You can even find lighter crusts (premade or recipes)!

Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you could exercise and save your calories enough to earn them- there are no forbidden foods- it's just that you can eat a LOT of high quality food, or a very little of poor quality food. but calories are calories.
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    all great suggestions! Thanks!

I think i'd have to work out for 8 hours straight to be able to eat the size of pork pie I used to (what does "family size" MEAN anyway? :laugh: :laugh:
  • sjlipka
    Options
    I make home-made chicken pot pies - great, healthy & easy! Use individual corningware pieces that hold about 2 cups. You'll need those & the following: (for each pot pie)

3 oz. cooked chicken (I use leftover chicken breast, cubed, or shredded rotisserie chicken)
    1/2 can light cream of chicken soup
    1 or 2 Tablespoons reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
    1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    1 jumbo reduced fat biscuit (from a tube of biscuit dough - I use Pilsbury)

Put everything except the biscuit in your corningware cup, stir, then microwave long enough to thaw the veggies. (add salt & pepper if you want - or even hot sauce if you like it spicy)

Roll out biscuit dough and top corningware container. Push down the edges to seal.

Bake at 350 until biscuit top is browned - about 15 minutes. Done!!! They're great!
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    The pot pies sound DELICIOUS!!!

Is biscuit the same as short crust pastry? Any idea what equivalent to pilsbury might be in UK?

I feel a visit to the big supermarket coming on..
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    I just wiki'd American Biscuits...So now I know! They're like scones but without the fruit?

I love the idea of biscuits and gravy....yummmmmmm

I learn something new every day on this site!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    mmm biscuits and gravy... strangely not low fat though. it's a cruel cruel world.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    There are some good Light Bistro Crustinis that are frozen microwave dinners but have a little sleeve thingy you nuke it in so it comes out sorta crispy. The chicken fajita one is only 240 calories and I find it very filling. There are a whole bunch of different kinds.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I used to walk into Kolache Factory and order a sausage-cheese kolache and a fruit pastry.

Alas, no more. I could make my own though...hmmm...any tips on how to make fluffy pastry without using oil/sugar/butter?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

DJ

I have to ask what are in your pasties? We do ours with the crust of course filled with beef, potato, rutabega & onion with salt, pepper & parsely. I figured they about 580cal. I'm ok with that for dinner.

And quiche, I love and still eat it. Have a smaller portion with salad or fruit on the side.

I don't eat much junk food anymore but I don't look at other foods as forbidden. I just limit my portions and have them in moderation.