Dads with sons......

Options
AZTrailRunner
AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
Have you formally sat your son down to teach him a skill (change a tire, use a compass/ map, split an atom...)?

My son is almost a year, and I can't wait to teach him the things my dad never formally taught me, and that I had to learn on my own.

How about you? Have you formally gave your son a lesson to develop a skill?

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Well, my son has Cerebral Palsy (a form of it anyway), so being 4 years old, he's really got the mentality and physical skills of a 2 year old. (no talking, clumsy walking etc.)

But I did teach him a 3-point stance and to run (or walk fast as he can't run) and tackle me at "GO"....that was pretty cool, and was pretty rewarding, so now he likes to play tackle all the time outside.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful...!!! My hubby is not on here but I am going to send this to him... He needs to be much more involved with his sons than he is. Thank you.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful...!!! My hubby is not on here but I am going to send this to him... He needs to be much more involved with his sons than he is. Thank you.

I agree..(SOME) Men need to teach their sons things and be more involved in their childrens lives
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    this year I have taught my 6 year old son how to take a wrist shot (12 goals in 4 games), stop a ground ball in proper position, build a proper fire pit while camping and how that fire should be extinguished, how to line up the sights on a BB gun, how to propely lay a steak on the grill and how to properly push a lawnmower (though I don't let him do this alone yet).

Do any of those count?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    While many would argue that I personally lack skills...and I might have to agree, I regularly sit down with my son to share the little bit of knowledge and experience I have when possible. He is 10 years old and he could not make me prouder. These years with him mean everything to me!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Options

I agree..(SOME) Men need to teach their sons things and be more involved in their childrens lives
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Options

• Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    "I can't wait to teach him the things my dad never formally taught me, and that I had to learn on my own."

My boy is a freshman at U of A and one of the things I miss most is beaing able to teach him things on a regular basis. It is a great joy of being a dad.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My son, who is only 3, is obsessed with trying to drive the car. I've shown him the gearstick and hand brake. Luckily he can't reach the pedals yet. His mother is teaching him to bake, probably safer.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My son is 2 and it seems like every day is a teaching experience in my house. Hubs has a second shift job and he's with my son from wake up until 2. They're always doing stuff together, and listening to them is Ah-Mazing.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a girl and my Dad taught me all sorts.... Formally! How to ride a bike, how to drive… I had to be able to change a tire, on my own, before I could borrow the car as a kid. Without him I’d still be living under the kitchen table
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was a single mom for 6 years before I met my fiance and he really enjoys showing my/our son how to do different kinds of things (change a tire/change oil/repair stuff around the house/etc..).

Although, he plans on showing our daughter how to change a tire/change oil/etc...

We have also taught him how to cook (the ol' man shows him how to grill, I show him how to make eggs, casseroles, pancakes, etc..). I also opened up a checking account for him 2 years ago, he knows how to check his balance, make a deposit, balance his checkbook, etc...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Have you formally sat your son down to teach him a skill (change a tire, use a compass/ map, split an atom...)?

My son is almost a year, and I can't wait to teach him the things my dad never formally taught me, and that I had to learn on my own.

How about you? Have you formally gave your son a lesson to develop a skill?

This is sooo cool! Imagine all of the one-on-one time together and the other stuff that can be talked about and taught. Super idea!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad but I do have a son..actually two. My oldest is now 20, and my husband has taught him how to change a tire, how to change the oil in his car, how to rotate his own tires, and (I'm bragging, here) I've taught him to do his own laundry! He *****ed and moaned every time he was being shown how, but when the time came for him to do it on his own, out of necessity, he was really glad he knew how. I think it's a great thing for dads to do!

Oh, my youngest is 5. Dad taught him how to take off his training wheels on his bike, so now he takes them off, and puts them back on, over and over. He says he's working! :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    FYI, you all should teach daughters and maybe even wives how to change tires...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/06-k6EGFtIU
    (seriously...open it...you'll love it)

I teach my sons all sorts things lol. We've tuned carburetors, set valve lash, set pinion angle, they know how to set the air pressure in drag slicks (at 4 and 5yrs old)...I've even shown them how to drive up and down the street.

And that's just with cars, lol...the list of things I teach my boys...from how to treat their sister, to how to treat strangers, to how NOT to pee on the toilet seat (yes women...we DO try to teach our sons this)...on through every other subject on the planet...is endless.

It's one of the joys of being a Dad...the ability to pass on all you know, to little ones who will one day, hopefully...surpass you.

Awesome thread man!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Teach my sons to respect themselves and in so doing, respect others. My boys have been saying "yes sir" so long, that now their response in a text is even that.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I taught my son how to play chess in the 4th grade. A year later he beat me for the first time after hundreds of games and no, I didnt let him win. The look of joy and pride on his face was priceless. He played againts some high schoolers when was a 5th grader at a mall fund raiser for the highschool chess club. He won his first game convincingly and the HS chess coach watched the game. My mom and wife was there watching too and the coach said, he is REALLY good. I had tears in my eyes during that.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    In my house my Dad made sure all of us girls knew how to change a tire, use a hammer/screwdriver and work a saw.
    My Mom made sure both my brothers knew how to sew on a button, cook the basics and thread a needle. :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I taught my son how to play chess in the 4th grade. A year later he beat me for the first time after hundreds of games and no, I didnt let him win. The look of joy and pride on his face was priceless. He played againts some high schoolers when was a 5th grader at a mall fund raiser for the highschool chess club. He won his first game convincingly and the HS chess coach watched the game. My mom and wife was there watching too and the coach said, he is REALLY good. I had tears in my eyes during that.

Haha, this is funny, my dad taught me how to play, then I started going to clubs...and I finally beat him...over and over and over...he doesn't play anymore LOL. But then again, I got REALLY good and was a tournament player and was the best person in the district in High School lol.