switching to maintenance

Options
I started trying to lose weight in March and have gone from 227 to about 155. I still have about 20 pounds to go to get to my ultimate goal but I’m really thinking about switching to maintenance until the end of the year. I’ve lost weight pretty quickly and would like to give my skin a chance to catch up –if that’s even possible. Also, I’ll be traveling a lot for work, etc.

So, I’m wondering if anyone has gone into maintenance mode for a few months and been successful at restarting their weight loss. Has anyone done this and had it backfire on them?
Thanks

Replies

• siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    im in maintenance mode.. it seems harder than losing weight lol. i kept trying to maintain and ended up losing too much. so im trying to eat more calories now
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I switched to maintenance last week because I have been the same weight for a month and I have <5 pounds until goal. I am having trouble eating this many calories, mind you I previously had MFP set at a 0.5 lb /week loss so I have only increased it by 250 calories/day.

What you're doing certainly can't hurt and it will keep all of your hard work in tact until you are ready to lose that last bit of weight. Good luck!
  • elfranzen
    elfranzen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 pounds to go and switched from 2 pounds per week to 1. I feel guilty when eating this many calories but I know when I switch to Maintenance I will have to add another 500 calories.
  • LPC020409
    LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can see how maintaining would be difficult. I think my problem will be getting in extra calories from good sources and not going back to my old eating habits.
  • LPC020409
    LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to .5 pounds a week and so I'll only need to add in 250 calories a day. I may try to phase in thos 250 calories over the next week or so.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can see how maintaining would be difficult. I think my problem will be getting in extra calories from good sources and going back to my old eating habits.

That is my issue. I have no problems eating maintenance if I go back to my old eating habits. This weekend I had two birthday parties so had pizza, chips, ice cream, ribs, etc. Hit my calories so fast and on top of that had to much fat and salt. The challenge is to hit maintainance calories while eating clean and continuing to exercise.