Recipe for fresh cranberries?

Options
I bought some fresh cranberries because I love fresh fruit and thought these would be interesting to try. OMG they are horrible! Does anyone have a recipe that I can use for these? Eating they raw is NOT an option. :noway:

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Umm. I hate to tell you this but you aren't supposed to eat cranberries raw.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Simmer them in Orange juice until they pop. You can add some sugar or low cal sweetner if they are not sweet enough. I love homemade cranberry sauce. The thing is you have to make a turkey now to go with it. :laugh:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/everyday-cooking/seasonal/fall/cranberries/main.aspx
    This is a site that has tons of recipes
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i just bought some over the weekend too. They were ocean spray brand and the bag they come in has a couple recipes on the back. I'm probably going to make the bread one.

Another thing I was going to do was cut them in half, and bake them in the oven with some chicken and potatos. I don't have a "recipe" per say for this since I usually just throw stuff together and put it in the oven. Most times it all comes out good.
    Also, if you don't get much on here, try Epicurious. I usually have a lot of luck finding yummy recipes on their app/website.
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used them for decoration :) But I'd try allrecipes.com or eatingwell.com. They'll have something!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I never buy canned cranberries ...... cranberry sauce & cranberry relish are so easy.

Sauce is 2 C. cranberries, 3/4 - 1C. sugar, and 1 C. water. Boil a few minutes .... and done. You could use apple juice in place of water & cut back on the sugar (a bit) ..... no calorie reduction though.

Cranberry Relish: chopped cranberries (raw) - finely chopped orange (including the peel) and 3/4 C sugar. I use a food processor, and typically remove the pith (the white backing) from the orange peel before chopping fine.

Neither recipe is low calorie ........ cranberries are always TART!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Dried cranberries, yum. Then you can cook tons of stuff with them later. If you don't have a dehydrator you can use the oven (if you have a lot of time)...

Bring water to a boil and put cranberries in them until the skin breaks open (this part is essential) but don't boil longer or they'll get soggy and gross. You can also add a bit of sugar to the water if you want them sweeter.

Once the skin has popped, drain them and let them dry. You can do it manually or just let them sit out for a bit.

Put them on a baking sheet, even layer, don't double up. Stick them in the oven at 150F. It will take about 6, 7, 8 hours depending on how dry you want them.

Love dried fruit as a snack and there are tons of recipes (white chocolate cranberry brownies!) that use dried cranberries.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Umm. I hate to tell you this but you aren't supposed to eat cranberries raw.
    Hehehehe. Now I know why - they are awful!
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Chop a cup or two and mix with your turkey or chicken stuffing. Stir a cup of chopped cranberries into your favorite bread or muffin recipe. Put a handful of chopped crans in your mashed yams or jello salad. Get creative. However, because they are tart, unless you add sugar or cook 'em until they pop in a "simple" syrup or juice, do not eat them alone/plain. Also, they do freeze, so use what you can now and save the rest on a need to use basis. For snacks, buy dried--but be sure to measure.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I never buy canned cranberries ...... cranberry sauce & cranberry relish are so easy.

Sauce is 2 C. cranberries, 3/4 - 1C. sugar, and 1 C. water. Boil a few minutes .... and done. You could use apple juice in place of water & cut back on the sugar (a bit) ..... no calorie reduction though.

Cranberry Relish: chopped cranberries (raw) - finely chopped orange (including the peel) and 3/4 C sugar. I use a food processor, and typically remove the pith (the white backing) from the orange peel before chopping fine.

Neither recipe is low calorie ........ cranberries are always TART!

I make cranberry relish for thanksgiving, works well with that inevitable post-Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich! ;) lol