Options
Namaste1983
Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares.... Thank me later
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 extra large egg beaten

2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup canned solid pumpkin(there will be left over in the can, dont add it. this will make the batch gooey but in a gross way.)

2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (i used bobs red mill)

1 teaspoon xathan gum

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 (12oz) package semi sweet choc. chips

1. pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. allow lining to overhang the edges.

2. in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. add the egg, then the vanilla and pumpkin and beat to combine. add the flour, xanthan gum, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt, beating after each addition. Reserve a couple tablespoons (1 & 1/2) of the flour mix in a small bowl on the side. Beat the batter well unitl it becomes thicker and a bit more elastic. Add the chocolate chips to the small bowl of reserved flour and toss to coat. then add the flour coated chips to the batter and stir until the chips are evenly distributed throughout.

3. pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing on the top. place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.

4. after cooling completely (because we are soo patient right? bwahaha) lift out the squares by the overhung parchment paper, peel it back and slice into squares. enjoy.

I ate mine warm, i like it hot ;)

cream chees was a yummy addition on the top and i think it woulod be a great breakfast treat on a weekend morning. the caramel was a bit much but some may enjoy. .I have never been a pumpkin person and I was blown away by how great these were. They really don't need anything to make them tasty. maybe a glass of milk and a cozy blanket :)

CAL COUNT IS AROUND 300 EACH, THEY ARE GLUTEN FREE AND I HAVE PLAYED WITH THE RECIPE A LITTLE. THEY FREEZE WELL, TASTE GREAT OUT OF THE FRIDGE.
I ADDED:
1/4 TSP NUTMEG
1/4 TSP CINNAMON
1 TSP SUGAR TO THE FLOUR
I HAVE USED TWO DIFFERENT GLUTEN FREE FLOURS AND PREFER BOBS RED MILL. IT WAS DENSE AND MOIST
THE ALL PURPOSE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MADE IT CAKE LIKE. NOT BAD, JUST NOT WHAT I LIKE :)

Manga,

sarah

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but too many calories! I will alter it ;)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sounds good but too many calories! I will alter it ;)

Yea I was thinking the same xD And im more worried about the refined sugar than the gluten :O
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    yummy!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I love pumpkin bars, and this would be my first year not having them and I was pretty bummed about it. Think it would make much of a difference in the consistency if I left out the chocolate chips?
    Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares.... Thank me later
    2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 extra large egg beaten

2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup canned solid pumpkin(there will be left over in the can, dont add it. this will make the batch gooey but in a gross way.)

2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (i used bobs red mill)

1 teaspoon xathan gum

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 (12oz) package semi sweet choc. chips

1. pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. allow lining to overhang the edges.

2. in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. add the egg, then the vanilla and pumpkin and beat to combine. add the flour, xanthan gum, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt, beating after each addition. Reserve a couple tablespoons (1 & 1/2) of the flour mix in a small bowl on the side. Beat the batter well unitl it becomes thicker and a bit more elastic. Add the chocolate chips to the small bowl of reserved flour and toss to coat. then add the flour coated chips to the batter and stir until the chips are evenly distributed throughout.

3. pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing on the top. place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.

4. after cooling completely (because we are soo patient right? bwahaha) lift out the squares by the overhung parchment paper, peel it back and slice into squares. enjoy.

I ate mine warm, i like it hot ;)

cream chees was a yummy addition on the top and i think it woulod be a great breakfast treat on a weekend morning. the caramel was a bit much but some may enjoy. .I have never been a pumpkin person and I was blown away by how great these were. They really don't need anything to make them tasty. maybe a glass of milk and a cozy blanket :)

CAL COUNT IS AROUND 300 EACH, THEY ARE GLUTEN FREE AND I HAVE PLAYED WITH THE RECIPE A LITTLE. THEY FREEZE WELL, TASTE GREAT OUT OF THE FRIDGE.
    I ADDED:
    1/4 TSP NUTMEG
    1/4 TSP CINNAMON
    1 TSP SUGAR TO THE FLOUR
    I HAVE USED TWO DIFFERENT GLUTEN FREE FLOURS AND PREFER BOBS RED MILL. IT WAS DENSE AND MOIST
    THE ALL PURPOSE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MADE IT CAKE LIKE. NOT BAD, JUST NOT WHAT I LIKE :)

Manga,

sarah

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    definatly a trier! thanx honey x :drinker:
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    yummy!!!
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    1 teaspoon xathan gum

What is this? Any substitutes? What does regular flour do to the texture?
  • Namaste1983
    Options
    I USED LESS CHOCOLATE CHIPS THE SECOND TIME. I JUST STARTED GLUTEN FREE BAKING SO I'M LEARNING WHAT WILL WORK AND WHAT WON'T. I'M GOING TO TRY APPLESAUCE NEXT TIME FOR THE BUTTER. I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE THINGS LIGHTER IN CALORIES BUT I JUST HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH EXPERIENCE YET TO MODIFY. I CUT THIS PAN INTO WAY MORE THAN 18 SQUARES SO ONE SERVING IS LESS THAN 300 CALS WHICH TO ME IS A NICE DESSERT ON A FALL NIGHT. NOT SOMETHING TO BE HAD ALL THE TIME. I'M BAKING FOR 40 WOMEN AT A WOMENS RETREAT SO THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS I WILL BE TESTING IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. MOSTLY GLUTEN FREE. I DID A GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE RECIPE TOO. CHECK OUT GLUTEN FREE ON A SHOESTRING :)
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Huge Bump! Sounds fantastic!
  • Namaste1983
    Options
    1 teaspoon xathan gum

What is this? Any substitutes? What does regular flour do to the texture?

XANTHAM GUM IS LIKE BAKING SODA FOR GLUTEN FREE FLOUR. I HAVEN'T USED REGULAR FLOUR AS I CAN'T EAT IT SO I'M NOT SURE :)
  • G0dsP3n
    G0dsP3n Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yum! Quesition.....What's "Bump"???
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I USED LESS CHOCOLATE CHIPS THE SECOND TIME. I JUST STARTED GLUTEN FREE BAKING SO I'M LEARNING WHAT WILL WORK AND WHAT WON'T. I'M GOING TO TRY APPLESAUCE NEXT TIME FOR THE BUTTER. I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE THINGS LIGHTER IN CALORIES BUT I JUST HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH EXPERIENCE YET TO MODIFY. I CUT THIS PAN INTO WAY MORE THAN 18 SQUARES SO ONE SERVING IS LESS THAN 300 CALS WHICH TO ME IS A NICE DESSERT ON A FALL NIGHT. NOT SOMETHING TO BE HAD ALL THE TIME. I'M BAKING FOR 40 WOMEN AT A WOMENS RETREAT SO THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS I WILL BE TESTING IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. MOSTLY GLUTEN FREE. I DID A GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE RECIPE TOO. CHECK OUT GLUTEN FREE ON A SHOESTRING :)

Thanks, these sound wonderful! (peole can modify if it's not what they want) I can't wait to try YOUR recipe, YUMMMMMM! :flowerforyou:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    sounds great! thanks for the recipe
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump! have gluten free friends at the office who will love this :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    These need to be made. And then I will shovel the entire pan directly into my mouth. Love it! Thanks! :)
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I want to make these... Question: What is xathan gum? Would it hinder the recipe if I left it out?
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yum! Quesition.....What's "Bump"???

Just a way to move the thread back up in sequence so it does not get lost in the other posts :)