Spinning Shoes

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
Looking for some suggestions . . .

Here is what I already know:
-- They really make a difference while spinning (compared to street sneakers).
-- Everybody is different, so I'll need to try on a few styles for fitting/comfort.
-- I know they're expensive ($90 - $200+).

** This is what I want to know - so everybody's comment; thought and opinion is important **
-- Is there a "favorite" brand out there?
-- Buckles or Velcro - which holds up better?
-- I am pretty active/agressive, so which would be more durable?
-- Best places/stores (even on-line) to purchase them?

Thanks !!!!

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've debate this, too, after spinning for 2 years...

I know that our local bike shop has a 1x/year sale on these, and they're all 1/2 to 2/3 off the "old" styles -- my spin teacher usually knows when it is, and clues us in.

I'm gonna bump this one so I can check the expert opinions later! Good luck!
  • dshorette
    dshorette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Goodales in Nashua has a HUGE selection and are very knowledgable! They will fit your foot with a shoe that will be the best opt. I wouldn't buy on line as all shoes fit your foot differently you want to try them!
    I have tie shoe, I have had them for a year and they look as they did the day I bought them bc I only use them for spin inside. If you were using them for outdoor trail riding you would have to worry about holding up.
    You will see a huge difference in your ride once you get shoes!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I went to two local bike shops to get fitted and shop around. Seems like Shimano is the most common brand and they have some moderately priced ones (in the $90 range). I have velcro straps which I like and the difference in your ride from tennis shoes is HUGE. I know a woman here who got fitted locally, then went online (sorry, don't know where) and bought them for much less and was happy. Additionally, you need to know what type of clips your gym uses. Different gyms have different pedal/clip configurations and that is something extra you have to buy and have installed on the shoes. Mine are about 5 years old, same pair and they still fit great, and look great. I only wear them for spinning and air them out when I come home (that whole sweat thing!).
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I went to two local bike shops to get fitted and shop around. Seems like Shimano is the most common brand and they have some moderately priced ones (in the $90 range). I have velcro straps which I like and the difference in your ride from tennis shoes is HUGE. I know a woman here who got fitted locally, then went online (sorry, don't know where) and bought them for much less and was happy. Additionally, you need to know what type of clips your gym uses. Different gyms have different pedal/clip configurations and that is something extra you have to buy and have installed on the shoes. Mine are about 5 years old, same pair and they still fit great, and look great. I only wear them for spinning and air them out when I come home (that whole sweat thing!).

One of my instructors claims you will get 50% more out of your spin class with spin shoes. It does make a difference because it forces your foot flat (correct form) and you can also pull up on the pedals where as in a foot cage you cannot. Shimano is a common brand but there are many others out there. They can last a long time as long as you only wear them for spin & don't walk around in them. You will also have to pay for the clips separately they are probably about $15.