Side dish help!!

Options
loviebear26
loviebear26 Posts: 43 Member
So tired of having just plain old veggies for dinner every night... i need some fresh new ideas to reinvent my veggies!

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i eat the smart ones potato broccoli and cheese side dish and they are 6 points but so yummy
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Cruise through the international foods aisle and pick up some mediterannan spice blend or Indian curry that you've never tried before! I have a whole collection of international spices, and use them to make everyday veggies into exotic sides!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Bacon-wrapped asparagus. Get the real thin slices of bacon. They are only 45 cals. :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Roast or grill them. My new fave is roasted cauliflower with some olive oil and seasonings. Check out skinnytaste.com. She has some great recipes on there.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love the green giant valley fresh steamers. I still want my veggies but want them quick and easy. They have different flavors and such and I love them all. :) They are in the frozen aisle.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Mix veggies with quinoa. Sweet potato, with touch of Cinnamon, no butter
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    try roasted kohlrabi with balasimic. It's a super food and taste so good.
    I love veggie troasted in generala dnt her are so many spice blend you can add to roasted veggies.
    I love to slice sweet potatos in cirlces cove rin a little olove oil salt and pepper and back them.
    brussel sprouts with a little blue cheese melted over them is great.
    Oh and I hate anchovies but it you cut one up and saute green beand gand garlic in alittel butter with teh anchovie it taste salty and yummy with out beign crazy high in sodium.

I hope this helps :)
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    I am not sure what kinds of veggies you like/dislike but if you like carrots, you might want to try this recipe for glazed carrots!

3 cups mini carrots, (1 pound)
    1/3 cup water
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1.Combine carrots, water, honey, butter and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and pepper and then sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Nutritional info (per serving): 74 calories; 2 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 236 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.

This recipe will make 4 servings, so you can adjust the ingredients according to your needs! I have made this recipe and I really like it, but instead of regular butter I use BestLife Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spread and Instead of using lemon juice, sometimes I will use some dry white wine!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what kinds of veggies you like/dislike but if you like carrots, you might want to try this recipe for glazed carrots!

3 cups mini carrots, (1 pound)
    1/3 cup water
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1.Combine carrots, water, honey, butter and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and pepper and then sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Nutritional info (per serving): 74 calories; 2 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 236 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.

This recipe will make 4 servings, so you can adjust the ingredients according to your needs! I have made this recipe and I really like it, but instead of regular butter I use BestLife Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spread and Instead of using lemon juice, sometimes I will use some dry white wine!

Thank you so much for this! Sounds delicious! :love:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Mash carrots and parsnips together, add some plain yogurt and curry? Maybe a touch of honey?
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ranch Veggies are a favorite of our family. I cut up whatever veges I have on hand (normally carrots, potatoes, cauliflower) and if i have them I throw in some fresh mushrooms too. (If you use greens like broccoli or green peppers I wait to put these in the oven so I will do 2 different bags to coat)
    Put the veges in a plastic Ziploc bag with 2 tsp of olive oil and a dry ranch packet. Shake bag to coat and put into a pan. I use a pampered chef bar pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Your baking time will depend on the veges you use and how crunchy you like them.
    The calorie content will vary depending on the vegetables you use and your serving size.
  • sarahwebb81
    Options
    The ranch veggies sound delicious! I like yellow squash, zuccini, and onion, sliced and sauteed with a little parmesean cheese on top. I also love sweet potatoes with cinnamon. Kale chips are great and easy. Also, I make brussels sprouts by halving them, placing on a baking sheet, and coating with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I have a hard time getting the timing in the oven right on these though- they sometimes come out too hard or soft. Vegetable soup is another alternative to get a nice variety of nutrients from all different veggies.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Okra gumbo......in a skillet boil chopped onion and onion with spices of your choice. I put lots of garlic and onion powder, red pepper, etc. When Okra is soft add a can of diced tomatoes and peppers and simmer a bit. If you can handle the carbs add some diced potatoes when you boil the okra. Yummy over brown rice and very low in calories.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Okra gumbo......in a skillet boil chopped onion and onion with spices of your choice. I put lots of garlic and onion powder, red pepper, etc. When Okra is soft add a can of diced tomatoes and peppers and simmer a bit. If you can handle the carbs add some diced potatoes when you boil the okra. Yummy over brown rice and very low in calories.

Yum!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Make a vinaigrette with some Balsamic in it and use it on your vegetables, toss a little in the rice, couscous... it's great!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I roast mostly all my veggies, toss with some evoo, s&p and spread out on a cookie sheet. roast 400* until done. Sometimes I toss on a can of white beans or garbanzo beans, a little curry powder or cumin maybe or lemon pepper. Whatever flavors you like depending on the veg. Sometimes sprinkle a little parm cheese on top.
  • morelesspls
    Options
    Two dishes I really enjoy as sides are:
    Grilled veggies- tomato, eggplant, mushroom, capsicum, squash- just don't go overboard on the oil and you'll be fine
    (roast veggies are my treat, so tasty but I always want roast potato/sweet potato and I can use my entire day's allowances on those two things- but if you do like roasting veggies and you like garlic try roasting whole cloves if you haven't, god they're tasty)

Another awesome recipe I discovered recently is sesame green beans

Crunchy Sesame Green Beans
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds green beans, washed and trimmed
    olive oil
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons or more sesame seeds (a handful)
    soy sauce to taste

Directions
    1. Cook green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander and run under cold water. Drain well.
    2. Heat a wok shaped skillet or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add several drops of olive oil and dark sesame oil.
    3. Add sesame seeds and garlic (Caution: sesame seeds pop while you are frying them. Cover your pan with a lid if necessary.)
    4. Add beans and stir fry for 2 minutes.
    5. Add crushed pepper flakes.
    6. Season with soy sauce to taste.
    (from: http://www.ireallylikefood.com/)

A different take on the dish above is achieved by frying up some onion, garlic, bird's eye chili and some fresh paprika (if you can get hold of it) instead of the sesames (also nix the sesame oil, just use olive)

I'm sorry but I don't know what each of these meals are worth, they're all fairly simple though as they're either quick to make or require minimal attention while cooking :)

Also someone suggested quinoa and veggies, I recommend this as well, tried it the other night by stuffing it in capsicums and baking them, v tasty!
    There are HEAPS of things you can do with veggies, honestly if you have trouble with it try googling vegetarian recipes, a lot of sites will come up with sides or you can find mains recipes that are simple to modify :)
    Haha this is my first post and it's sooooooooooooo long!! Sorry!!
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    These are also good - they are a healthier version of T.G.I. Friday's Crispy Green Bean Fries w/ spicy dipping sauce!

Ingredients:

For Dip
    3 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise (I use plain greek yogurt instead)
    2 tbsp. peeled and chopped cucumber
    1 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1 1/2 tsp. dry ranch dressing/dip mix (If you are really ambitious, you can make your own dry ranch mix!)
    1/4 tsp. wasabi paste
    dash cayenne pepper

For Green Beans
    2 cups (8 oz.) fresh green beans, trimmed
    3/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original), ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor (I just put the cereal in a sealable plastic bag and roll a rolling pin over the bag!)
    1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters)
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. salt (I use Himalayan Salt)
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    Optional: additional seasonings, to taste (I add some paprika and thyme)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine dip ingredients in a food processor or small blender. Blend until smooth. Place dip in a dish, and then cover and chill in the fridge.

Place the green beans in a large pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 9 minutes. Carefully drain the beans, and then place them in cold water for a few minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain and dry them well.

Fill a small bowl with egg substitute, and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the Fiber One "breadcrumbs" with the spices (add extra seasonings, if you like). Cover a large baking pan with aluminum foil and/or nonstick spray. Set aside.

Place about 1/3rd of the crumb mixture into a large sealable plastic bag. One by one, dip green beans into the egg substitute, and place them in the bag with the breadcrumbs -- continue this with 1/3rd of the beans. Seal the bag and shake it up. Remove the "breaded" green beans, and place them on the pan. Repeat this process two more times, so all of the beans are coated.

Pop the pan in the oven and cook for 16 minutes, flipping green beans halfway through cooking. Beans are done once they're crispy. Allow green beans to cool slightly, and then serve with the dip.

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe (dip included)
    Calories: 129
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 881mg
    Carbs: 32.5g
    Fiber: 14g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 7g

Recipe From:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1085

I also like these beans with warm homemade hummus when I am not in the mood for the spicy sauce!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper and dill can make ordinary veggies soooo yummy
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If your looking for really simple...I chop whatever is lying around and throw them in a steemer until fork tender then toss with a little soy sauce. Great flavor with zero fat and very little calories. (You just need a couple of drops of soy sauce)