Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lunch ideas?

I am getting so tired of the same stuff. My husband works from home and I will do soup or he will have something nasty (spaghettios w/ meat balls)...sometimes will have sandwiches or tuna salad or something like that. Pizza (for him, salad for me). I can cook mean dinners for our family of 5 but I am stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking for just he and I.

Suggestions??

Replies

• acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    what about a stirfry or like a rice bowl (brown rice, meat and veggies)
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Hummus and pita chips is always good and filling.
  • pickwicken
    pickwicken Posts: 5 Member
    do you like Chicken and dupmlings. homemade for only 204 cal for 2 cups..
  • The only thing new I ever think of is having leftovers. haha It's tough to pick something, but knowing what i'm going to eat helps me plan my meals for the day. I always crave warm food now, so i thought about getting vegetable steamers for a quick fix.

Good luck!
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    do you like Chicken and dupmlings. homemade for only 204 cal for 2 cups..

WE LOVE THIS IN OUR HOUSE BUT CAN YOU PROVIDE THE RECIPE FOR THIS ONE THAT IS ONLY 204 CAL/2CUPS PLEASE?
    I KNOW THE ONE I MAKE IS MORE THAN THAT.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I cook up a bunch of stuff on the weekend. Grilled chicken, brown rice, maybe a big soup or chili, salad, fresh veggies etc. I work from home as well, and it's easy. just quickly into the kitchen and fire up something in the micro or on the stove.

My wife is a veggie, so we usually have the same basics...say, salad/ and rice, then I add chicken and she adds tofu. lol.

wraps are good too....toss in whatever and you have a nice little lunch meal.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    I have fell in love with Hummus and Joesephs flax oat bran Whole wheat lavish bread.
    You can get the tyson grilled chicken or steak strips and wrap with your veggies. Today I used 2 oz of canned chicken and just the spinach artichoke hummus and it was delish! If you don't like hummus you can use honey mustard or something :) Hope this helps, Im kindda struggling in the lunch department as well.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com

thats a good website. ive been aiming to try a few dishes from it. today im making 1 large chicken breast, chopped up and put into a tortila with ranch, lettuce and tomatoes.

stuff i ususally make, i'll usually buy some lean cuisine or healthy choice microwavable meals for me and ill make him something that comes from a box (honey bbq wings, small pizza) because those are things he likes and i do like the lean cuisine microwave meals. but ill make some rice with some kind of meat or i'll make grilled chicken with shrimp. (just slap the chicken in the oven, cut it up and put your shrimp in a skillet, season and let it get warm)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    We hardly ever have left overs here, to be honest...and if we do, one of my boys will take it to school. We have 5 people in our family (2 growing boys in growth spurts)...so it gets gone pretty quickly!!

I plan ahead on my days, too...but it is still getting boring. I have plenty imagination when it comes to feeding us at dinner...but none at all for lunch. I don't want to be cooking for 30 or more mins in the middle of the day only to get the kitchen cleaned and have to start again for dinner. But the stir fry sounds great...and yessss, I LOVE dumplings!! Would love that red. cal recipe :)
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    bump
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    At work i'll make myself a pita pizza. I use a flax seed, oat bran, whole wheat pita with pizza sause, spinach and cheese. I cook it in the toaster oven we have at work. It comes out to only 170 calories with pepperoni (about 7 pieces) it's still only 240 calories.
  • Queen_JessieA
    www.skinnytaste.com

thats a good website. ive been aiming to try a few dishes from it.im making1 large chicken breast, chopped up and put into a tortila with ranch, lettuce and tomatoes.

stuff i ususally make, i'll usually buy some lean cuisine or healthy choice microwavable meals for me and ill make him something that comes from a box (honey bbq wings, small pizza) because those are things he likes and i do like the lean cuisine microwave meals.

I am actually using SkinnyTaste right now to plan my next two weeks. But again, stuck in the lunch department. I see lots there for dinner but I am not really liking many of the "lunch" recipes on there? Most of them seem to be sandwiches and I am just so burned out on sandwiches! Not big on pasta at all, so that won't work, either.
  • pitta pizza...whole wheat pita w/ 2 tbs pizza sauce (you can find low cal) turkey pepperoni and all of the veggies you want. Put in toaster (or regular) oven. SO GOOD! :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    This is one of my favorite fall lunches: Lettuce, a chopped apple, walnuts, dried cranberries, some gorgonzola or blue cheese and raspberry salad dressing. The walnuts and cheese can be on the high side for calories so use sparingly, but this lunch is really satisfying!
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    HOMEMADE TURKEY VEGETABLE SOUP IS DELICIOUS!
  • Queen_JessieA
    pitta pizza...whole wheat pita w/ 2 tbs pizza sauce (you can find low cal) turkey pepperoni and all of the veggies you want. Put in toaster (or regular) oven. SO GOOD! :flowerforyou:

I don't know why I didn't think of that. We used to make mini pizzas w/ either whole wheat tortillas, pita bread or even the 100 cal english muffins. They ARE good :)
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    yeah lunch is hard to pick for. i dont much like cooking during the evening myself.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    You could also try changing the "base" of the standard sandwhich... make a tuna salad wrap, add nuts or cranberry to chicken or ham sandwiches. Pita pizza - place toppings on a whole wheat whole closed pita) and bake... this works with english muffins too.
  • pickwicken
    pickwicken Posts: 5 Member
    Sure, but sorry about the spelling...

I use 2 boiled 4oz chicken, 3 cup flour, 2 cups low fat or skim milk. I mix milk and flour unilt no longer stikes to hand. roll out to paper thin and cut into 1 inch pices. bring water to back to boil add 1 tsp sea salt and 2 tsp papper 2 caps of evoo. then just add chicken and dumpling and simmer for 30 min and your done..
  • Do you have a toaster oven? You can make all sorts of things in it! For example, my lunch today was a tuna melt made in the toaster oven:

1 can of tuna
    1tbs low fat mayo
    1 slice provolone cheese
    salt and pepper
    on a Fiber One whole wheat 100cal English muffin

half sour pickles on the side :)