Breaking the caffeine habit

Options
2»

Replies

• raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You are allowed one cup of coffee a day while you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The question here is: "What do you consider one cup?" To some people one cup can be 8oz, 5 oz or much much more than that! To my knowledge and correct me if I am wrong anyone out there, your coffee cup should be about 5oz. Also, I quit cold turkey as well and had major headaches, lack of energy and was sooooo moody. However, after a week now I can have one- two cups a week and dont feel that craving... by the way I used to drink 4 cups a day and my cups were about 12oz each!
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    One thing I started to do to ween myself off was to only drink the caffine drinks while I was at home so everywhere else I only had water. Then I started to do it where I would start my day with 1 caffinated beverage then until I drank my 8 glasses of water I wouldn't have anymore. Then slowly cut out the ending beverages. Then the worst is the morning caffine.
  • leti333
    leti333 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Start taking vitamin B complex, all the energy drinks have it, it's all natural, harmless, and will help you avoid the caffein crash...It works wonders!!
  • infinitelyatpeace
    Options
    Start by drinking half caf/ half decaf for a week. The following week go decaf only with a shot of wheat grass in the morning. Next try to get in the habit of drinking herbal tea.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I had to cut my caffeine habit out for a few months when I was in college. It was awful. I had some stomach issues, and the caffeine just aggravated the problem.

I recommend cutting back slowly. If you drink 5 caffeinated beverages in a day, drink only 4 tomorrow. If you only drink one a day, you might be able to cut cold turkey, but if you drink more than that, you should ease off of it.

When I get caffeine withdrawal, I get awful headaches. Last week, I was drinking 5 beverages a day. Over the weekend, I slowed down to 4. Today I had three cups of coffee. Granted, coffee has more caffeine than tea or pop, but don't make it complicated. Just count how much you are drinking by the number of cups or cans.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I forgot to answer the question about how to stay energized without it. Here are a few ideas:
    1. This might seem obvious, but aim for 8 hours of sleep a night.
    2. Practice good sleep hygiene. Go to bed at the same time every night. Wake up at the same time every morning. Try to keep distractions out of the bedroom, and only use your bed for sleep or sex.
    3. Get fresh air. I get sleepy at my desk at work all the time, and sometimes going outside for a minute wakes me up.
    4. Drink lots of water or decaf. :)
    6. Get some exercise. Sitting still makes me want to take a nap. If I get up and move around for a couple minutes, I usually feel better.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I just can't imagine that, my kids were teens before they could have caffeine. Still wasnt crazy about it, but I can't imagine giving to my baby, what has such an effect on me as an adult. I'm just saying, I know docs know more than I, and I know I am more sensitive to things than most people.
    I drank a cup of coffee almost everyday when I was pregnant with all three of my children. My Dr didn't see an issue with it being only one cup a day. Good luck on the future family :smile:
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    I drank a cup of coffee almost everyday when I was pregnant with all three of my children. My Dr didn't see an issue with it being only one cup a day. Good luck on the future family :smile:

Thanks! I have read that one cup a day is fine, too. I'll keep that in mind, cause I loooooove coffee lol