Pregnancy Cravings HELP!

Options
I am now 27 weeks prego and the chocolate cravings are insane! Anyone else have this problem? What are some alternatives or things that you have done to fight these cravings? I have gained 15lbs so far in my pregnancy (not sure if that helps with any input or not)

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Last night I had yoplait whipped chocolate yogurt on caramel quakes mini rice cakes . . . it was heavenly.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well, I can tell you one thing. Cravings are brutal, maybe find alternative?
    The day I decided I was just going to follow my cravings I ended up gaining over 60lbs by the end of pregnancy....Now that was so NOT worth it! lol
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant, but I have some suggestions to help w/ your sweet cravings. If available, plain unsalted rice cakes with honey on them is very good and low in calories. I would try some Skinnycow brand candy if you really want chocolate or try their ice creams, they are DELISH! They are 110 or 120 calories depending on which kind you buy. So far I like them all. Or try buying some 100 cal packs, I know the nutrition isn't right, however at least you wont do terrible on calories.

Good luck to you! Congrats on the pregnancy also!
  • _Corinne_
    _Corinne_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I ate a spoonful of Nutella right out of the jar once a day...but a healthier suggestion would be to blend some Greek yogurt (such as Fage) with some Nutella or some peanut butter and snack on that. It's a pretty nice topping for toast and a nice dip for fresh fruit as well.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I only had food cravings with the second of my four. I wanted salmi and peanut butter sandwiches for a couple of days. Weird! I craved orange sherbert while nursing my first . I could eat a 5 quart pail a week! Just remember what you are eating is supposed to nourish your baby. If you eat crap so does your baby. If you eat healthy foods so does your baby. While I don't want you baby to be underweight by any measure, be careful, even with healthy foods, not to overeat as you don't want the baby to be too big. Delivery is challenging enough without having a ten pound baby. Have fun and Best Wishes!
  • DIYmomma
    DIYmomma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    you could try Nutella, it taste a little like chocolate but i think its a little too sweet tasting. oh and maybe no pudge brownies (http://www.nopudge.com/) in moderation.

also when i was pregnant with all three of my kids, the doc had me on a 2000 calorie a day limit,

hope that helps :)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am now 27 weeks prego and the chocolate cravings are insane! Anyone else have this problem? What are some alternatives or things that you have done to fight these cravings? I have gained 15lbs so far in my pregnancy (not sure if that helps with any input or not)

At 27 weeks, I wouldn't worry too much about 15 lbs (that's probably mostly placenta, baby, fluid). It's not an eating free for all that some women make it (you don't need that much more to support a growing baby), but I wouldn't worry about dieting too much. As long as the majority of what you are eating is healthy, a few splurges every now and then isn't going to do harm.

I'd say, get a good quality dark chocolate and slowly eat a square of it and let it melt on your tongue bit by bit if you feel like you must have some. Enjoy it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly I lived off of pbj's, skim milk, ice cream, and twizzlers my last trimester . . . I wouldn't suggest this, but at the same time it's always okay to splurge a little. I'm not pregnant and I splurge every now and then, I find it helps me from binging my cravings. My first trimester I craved citrus fruits. I'd go through a case or two of clementines and a pine apple (or the equivalent of this) per week, and I couldn't stand the smell of meat of any kind. I can't wait to see what happens with the next one!
  • cherokeetracey
    Options
    in pregnancy 1 : cheese on toast with brown sauce
    pregnancy 2 : fish and donner kebabs
    pregnancy 3 : microwaved bacon n cheese (bacon had to be microwaved)
    pregnancy 4 (the twins) : went off a lot of foods, never really craved anything
    pregnancy 5 : fish pies

when my eldest daughter was pregnant, i craved skittles lol, i couldnt get enough of them and yet now she has had the baby, i cant stand them.
    with pregnancy 3 i went off alcohol and have never really had a drink since then. isnt it wierd how pregnancy affects you x
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    for chocolate cravings, try yoplait delights chocolate raspberry parfaits. i think they are only 100 calories and very rich.
  • newmrswood
    Options
    I was told y my mother in law that food cravings during pregnancy is your body craving something specific in that food, that your lacking it. Maybe trying some small dark chocolate, it's good for you in small quantities
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was told y my mother in law that food cravings during pregnancy is your body craving something specific in that food, that your lacking it. Maybe trying some small dark chocolate, it's good for you in small quantities

When I was pregnant thats what I was told. I believe this. I was not satisfied until I ate what I was craving. No other food would do. Sometimes I would get nauseous until I ate what my body was craving.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Wow, I wonder what i needed in all of those Reese's peanut butter cups? :laugh:
  • jenjac
    jenjac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!!