This doesn't add up...

Options
Okay, so I cheated over the weekend (flew to a wedding in Chicago) and based on what I ate from Friday through Sunday, I went over 4,378 calories. I weighed myself today and it shows that I gained 6 lbs. Shouldn't my weight be only a 1.25 lb gain versus 6 lbs? I'm only saying that cause 3500 calories = 1 lbs. Am I missing something?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Water retention from a higher sodium intake.
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    Okay, so I cheated over the weekend (flew to a wedding in Chicago) and based on what I ate from Friday through Sunday, I went over 4,378 calories. I weighed myself today and it shows that I gained 6 lbs. Shouldn't my weight be only a 1.25 lb gain versus 6 lbs? I'm only saying that cause 3500 calories = 1 lbs. Am I missing something?

Water/sodium? I bet it'll come off in less than a week
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Water weight. I went out with my girlfriends this weekend and ended up 4 pounds heavier on Monday than I was Saturday. I'm not worried because I know it will be gone in a couple days.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    I did that during Thanksgiving. A whopping 8lb gain over 1 1/2 days... :S

Most of it is gone now that i've gotten back on track. :D
  • shagybear33
    Options
    BTW Skylark.....nice car!!!!!!!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sodium/water retention

Plus all of that food is still in your intestines. Gotta wait for a BM too before the scale will go back down xD
  • jimstock60
    jimstock60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am with Sunshine on this, yes you might have sodium and water buildup, be slightly bloate from all the excess, but have you pooped?
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How much sodium can make you gain 1 lbs?
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, several times. ;)
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me on a recent girls getaway weekend, I came back with a 7 pound gain. Took a full week, but it's gone now. :-)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Nutrition and especially wt loss science is INEXACT!!! It does NOT take into consideration individual differences. Predicting the weather is MORE exact than wt loss science. ALL thre formulas in the world will NOT make the Body/Your Body do what it does NOT want to do.

I keep saying this and people keep "crying" about their Plan don't work or they are in a "stall" or I'm not losing as fast as I SHOULD, or SOMETHING...
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water, it will be gone in no time!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Guessing to eat that much over most of which is carbs. Each gram of carbs requires 3 grams of water...though this does not sound like much when you are talking maybe an excess of 500 grams carbs this can be over 3 lbs in water weight which will pass through your system.
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    so to get rid of water you have to drink water?

i dont understand lol
  • SaraSatin
    SaraSatin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It flushes out your muscles and tissue and helps the body get rid of the water that is just sitting there.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    increasing potassium will help your body with the increased sodium too .. bananas, orange juice, grapes, tomatoes, things like that..

a lot of is probably water weight & food still in your gut weight.. up your water, decrease your cals a little and let the food digest over the next few days and you'll be back to normal in no time

good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

Not just sodium - just eating more will bulk up your glycogen. Just as you lose 5 lbs the first week you diet, you gain it back when you go over. But then you lose it.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

yes, this
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How much sodium can make you gain 1 lbs?

Way more than just one pound. Like 5.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Sodium/water retention

Plus all of that food is still in your intestines. Gotta wait for a BM too before the scale will go back down xD

This too! works wonders on the scale when you are empty :blushing: