Advice for a New Mommy! HELP!

Options
My daughter will be 1 in January. She definitely keeps me moving when I am at home. I work a 40hr week at a bank, where I basically sit at a desk all day... occasionally having to go to other floors. I hate to admit that when I have to go from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor, I get lazy and take the elevator. By the time I get home, cook dinner, get her bath, do a load or two of laundry, other chores, and get her to bed... I'm exhausted! How have "old mommies" learned to adjust and stay in the routine of exercising and eating right!? At dinner, I tend to eat pretty healthy, but breakfast isn't ever really breakfast food, and lunch is something fast so I can run errands, etc. I wake up at 6am and go to bed at 10pm.... how do I make time to get into the gym!?

Replies

• angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have two children - 8 and 2 (next month). I work 40 hrs April through Dec and 70+ Jan through April. (Can you guess my profession? hahah) At one point during my span here i was actually working out 3 times a day - not sure how i managed that. I have a gym in my building where i work so i would get here early enough to do 30 mins - then go down at lunch and then work out at night. Lately this is much more difficult with school starting so i do my best. Try and focus on weekends for good workouts and do minimal during the week for now. Take stairs, get up from your desk as often as possible. The days you dont excercise, really focus on eating as healthy as possible. I pack my lunch most days but if i cant i still grab something as healthy as possible and stay within my calories. I have been on here since April and have lost almost 55 lbs strictly from watching my calories and excercising. It's a great site and will help! Good luck to you!!
  • SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently left my job to be a stay at home mommy, but when I was working, I had the same problem! I would wake up, rush to get to day care and work on time, work 8 hours straight so I could go home earlier (no lunch break, I just ate something at my desk while working), pick my son up and go home. By the time we got home, I had maybe two hours with him before he went to bed, because he went to bed so early, especially because we had to wake up so early. Anyway, by the time a chore or two was done, with dinner made, and preps for the next day, I was seriously exhausted! There was NO way I wanted to exercise. I tried many different things to get the exercise in. I knew exercising would give me more energy, but it was so hard to do at night. The most helpful thing for me was that at work every 2ish hours, I would take a quick break and walk up and down the 8 floors of my building. It was super tough at first, but that's a lot of steps and even that little bit of exercise helped! It helped me feel better! Also, my son and I would sometimes go for a walk with him in the stroller--sometimes, I even jogged the empty stroller from our apartment to daycare, picked him up, and walked/jogged home. Anyway, a long-winded way to say it was way hard to exercise, but doing little things around the office helped me feel better. It wasn't the weight-loss intensity I wanted, but at least I felt like it was helping and keeping my body energized. The breaks also helped me work better. Finally, I wish I would have MADE myself exercise after my son went to bed. Some days now are similar and I don't get a workout in before my son's bed time; exhausted and not motivated to exercise, I make myself exercise and it is awesome! I get a workout in, feel better about myself, and I have a TON of energy after I workout--which helps me do more around the house before I finally go to bed. Sometimes I just have to tell myself to do 10 minutes of the workout, and then if I am still too tired I can quit--it's a sweet bit of advice I learned from one of MFPs and it works!
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! I have done the walking steps thing before, and it really does help me feel better, I guess I just need to suck it up and do it!! I live in TN so you never know what the weather is going to be like.. but when it's nice, my baby and I will take walks where we live. We are pretty far out into the country, so I really enjoy looking at the trees, especially this time of year.. and my daughter always loves a ride in the stroller.