Had my gym induction today...

Options
... and came out feeling horrible :-(.

It's taken me forever to pluck up the courage to join, and I was actually shaking when I got there. The instructors were really helpful and polite, but I guess I had expected something a little gentler (I've never done anything like this before, and am quite overweight and unfit). The induction was 1 hour, and I suppose I was expecting to be shown how to use everything and given some guidance on levels etc. But I found it really really hard - I was sweating loads, and after a while just wanted to stop and get out of there. The cardio stuff was fine - though harder than I would have predicted, but the strength stuff was almost impossible - I just couldn't move some of the weights he set at all, and was mortified as he had to lower them and lower them - and by the time we got to the 'body weight' exercises I was so tired and embarrassed at my incompetence that I just couldn't manage them.

I don't know if I can face going back. Would it be really pointless to just do the cardio stuff to start with and build up? Or to do half the strength exercises that were suggested? I feel like if I don't go back, that'll be it - I'll never manage it again. But we have a follow-up session booked for three weeks' time and I just know there is no way I am going to be able to do what was recommended.

Feeling very low. Can anyone advise me on the best course of action?

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Why are you already giving up?
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. Do what you can manage and go from there. Don't give up and keep you head up.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Go at your own pace. You don't have to do what they have shown you. Go with the lowest weights and move up from there. Start with a few exercises and move up from there. I was like that when I first started a gym. Same with cardio, start slow and move your way up. I would give the gym another try.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Don't give up.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just start really slow...you can absolutely do this!! Start with just some light walking, or a machine that you feel comfortable with. As for the weights, do what you can handle, but be sure to push yourself too--you wanna get your heart rate going!

For a newcomer, I can see how the gym would be intimidating but the more you go back and push yourself to do so, you will start to enjoy your time there more & more. Just give it some time & soon it will be a routine!
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You're not the only one who gets started and can't do what you think you SHOULD be able to do. Everyone overestimates themselves in the beginning. The induction is more of a way to gauge your fitness level than it is to make you feel bad. It's the trainers job. He sees it everyday. Now he knows where to start and you can start progressing!
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't feel low, you should feel proud!!! what you did today was scary and it took a lot of courage not only to show up, but to stay for the entire hour. when i first started my weight loss journey i was in such terrible shape that the most i could manage was 15 minutes of walking 2.5 mph on the treadmill, but i kept at it and now i can go for 60+ minutes on the elliptical. if all you can bring yourself to do right now is cardio then that's certainly better than nothing. but i think you're capable of quite a bit more than you think you are... don't sell yourself short! :happy:
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I manage a gym and induct new members.

Our gym is different. We are smaller and more interactive with members which means we get to know them and get to help them more, rather than just put them through a general introduction. We assist with motivation and look at pairing people for training partners.

We have a lot of members with obesity issues, various health issues and in a lot of cases have families joining to support one member who needs others around them. We also have signed members with mild intellectual disabilities.

It's a shame that you seem to be at a gym with the "general" approach that many have. For most, the induction process works but obviously not in your case.

I would advise going back. You made the first step in joining and you obviously know you need to be there.

Forget what happened at the induction. You basically learnt how to use the machines in the process, so now you can go at your own pace!
    Is there a time that is quieter at the gym? Perhaps phone and ask? Go in when it's quieter, take some motivating music on an ipod and slowly try the cardio equipment to get used to it. Keep an eye out in the gym for somebody who looks as timid as you feel, and perhaps smile at them - let them know that you now how they are feeling - you might find that over a short period of time you establish that they feel the same as you and they might be happy to "buddy up" with you for training.

Personal trainers are there to help you. Whilst you might not be in a position financially to hire one, you can always ask advice on the floor on how to use equipment specifically for your needs.

Joining the gym when you are just starting is a massive step. I have had members in tears joining because they know they need to but they are just terrified so I completely appreciate how you feel.

Happy to talk to you and give advice if you need it - there are probably lots of tips I can help you with ;)
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Most instructors give you the weights that are heavy so they can see where your failure point (where you are struggling to get a set). I had to do the same thing when I stated, but once the instructor knew where I was strength wise, he would work from that point on and increase your reps, or weight.

Also why are you giving up so soon??? You have got to start somewhere.... Remember "no pain, not gain" You won't do great if you give up after one day...
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Please go back! All I do in the gym is cardio and I am losing weight quite well. The machines at my gym tell me how many calories I have burnt as I exercise. You don't need to burn a lot at first- maybe just start with walking fast on the treadmill for 15 minutes and the next day do 20 mins- you will soon build yourself up to a level where you are burning some serious calories! As you become more confident in the gym go on to try other machines. The induction is the most horrible bit - it goes up from here!
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I was 120 pounds over weight when I started working out. I just started walking n the treadmill ( 3.5 speed) with in a moth I was doing incline (Started at 6% and up it every 5-10 minutes by 1%) I would workout during the week 45 to 50 minutes and on the weekends at least an hour. I would also do long hikes with my friend for 2 hours on the weekend. It has been almost 7 months. I can now do some jogging and have lost almost 70 pounds. You do what you can everyday or you can take one day off a week but dont give up. If I can do it you can to. I am going to start doing weights soon but Cardio is what my doctor wanted me to start with. Don't give up, it hurts and is hard at first but it will get better,
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    You've joined so that's a great start.

If I were you I'd start by doing JUST cardio, maybe the cross trainer. Build your time up on this over the following weeks/months. The weight loss and cardio imrpovements over that time will hopefully make you more comfortable and capable of doing tougher exercises.

The important thing at the moment is to get into a routine of going to the gym, and seeing how you imporve (ie more minutes each time on the cross trainer).

Once you get going and make improvements you'll naturally push yourself harder and look for different exercises/target areas etc.

Get the weight off and your fitness up on whatever machine you feel comfortable on for now.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    You have been through the hardest and the worst part. I was a hiker for years, but never a gym person. I started last year at a local Y and found a class "Jump Start" also known as "Circuit Training" that was an excellent way to begin. The class mixed both cardio and weights, all exercises very easy to adapt to a range of abilities. Look for this. After success here I happily advanced to other more challenging classes. I was very surprised to learn that I liked the classes. I also spend a good amount of time on treadmills and such - I use and iPod and value the solitary experience.

It also sounds as if the gym you selected may not be well suited to your needs. Whoever was providing you with the induction should have chosen weights too light so that you feel a positive reinforcement/surprise. Very poor on their part. Look around the gym - is this a place that inspires you and a place where you feel comfortable? If not, explore other options. Your experience should not include tears.

If there are not appropriate classes, I would suggest that you limit yourself to cardio machines - bike, treadmill and elyptical for a while. What is the most important thing for you now is to become comfortable with the gym and exercise. Once you are, you wil likely to be eager to add weight training.

The best most effective exercise machine/routine is the one that you will do.

Go for it! It is better than the alternative.
  • Cassiopeia00
    Options
    Please, please do not let yourself give up! I think almost all of us remember the first time we stepped into the gym, and remembered where we had to start, and what we felt like, but I absolutely promise you that you will see tremendous improvements as time goes on, so please do not be discouraged. I know a lot of people are embarrassed and shy about it as well, but to be completely honest, everyone in a professional gym is there for themselves- they aren't people watching, or even have a clue as to how much weight you are or aren't lifting. They are concentrating on their own workouts. When you go back (Yes, you WILL go back! ;) ), focus strictly on yourself, and only what you have to do in THAT moment to achieve your workout goal for the day. You will amaze yourself as time goes on, I promise.
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Absolutely don't give up! I'd barely been to the gym more than a handful of times in my life, and am still only barely competent at cardio and strength exercises, but I keep forcing myself back 3-4 times each week. When I first signed up, I had the option to do a free "fitness evaluation". At first I was super hesitant, but after signing up with MFP and really decided to change, I went for it. And I hated it. It was murderously hard - I had to literally lever myself in and out of chairs for the next 3 days or something, and hobble around. And then I signed up to have the guy who'd given me the evaluation be my personal trainer for a while! I only see him once a week, but it makes a huge difference in so many ways. It's made me realize that I almost NEVER push myself as hard as I can when I work out alone, and has given me a better way to judge what a really good, intense work out should be like. It's a way to keep myself committed - I can't just decide I don't feel like going to the gym that day, and knowing I'm supposed to see him makes me more inclined to go all the other days, so that I'll be more prepared and won't feel like such a complete flop when I DO see him. He's shown me a ton of things that, even when our sessions are over or I don't see him any longer, I know I'll be able to do, and incorporate into my own routine. Having seen him enough, he knows my body, and we've talked about what I want to achieve, and he's been great in showing me exactly how to reach those goals - some of the stuff I'd been doing before, for example, was totally extraneous in terms of getting the results I wanted! And I think most importantly, and to speak to your feeling very down about your induction, it's taught me what I'm truly capable of in a really basic way. Whether or not I'm able to complete a certain number of sets, at a certain weight, or whatever, I know that I can always TRY and that I can't really expect anything worse than being sore for a few days! It always feels like something scary could happen, and I'm still scared each week, but every time I'm reminded that nothing DOES happen, and I've come to realize that what I'm scared of more than the exercise is my doubt in myself and my ability to do things...and so the only way to change that is keep at it and KNOW I can do those things! That was a little ramble-y, so I don't know if it makes sense, but absolutely keep going - change may take a while, but slow and steady wins the race!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on conquering your fears and making that first trip..that's a great success!

The bottom line is that if just doing cardio is going to get you back to the gym, then just do cardio. For real the most important thing is to get there and get moving. 90% of us are intimidated by our first visit to a gym, but if you keep going eventually you will feel like you own the place and you will learn that people of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels can be found there.

Here is why I do urge you to consider the strength training as well, and I promise I am speaking from personal experience. If you are to weak to lift anything above your body weight, this is making your all-day-every-day-normal life harder on you. It really won't take *too* much work or time for you to see an improvement, and it will carry over into so many little things and make your life a lot easier. Things like getting into and out of the car, carrying groceries, picking things up off the floor, etc etc, will no longer tax you. So that's just something to keep in mind.
  • cere1
    cere1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!! You took the biggest step...just walking in the front door.
    You can totally manage the rest. Your trainer never should have started you with heavy weights in the first place.
    You can get an awesome workout using the basic 2 lb. weights starting out. This will show you how to use them CORRECTLY and get you comfortable in the gym.
    I joined my gym 1 year ago.It was my first time ever in a gym in my life (I'm 54yrs old). I MADE my husband come with me cause I couldn't walk in alone. One year later I feel awesome and look amazing and am now getting certified to be a fitness trainer.
    YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good stuff in your post: you conquered your fear and finally worked up the nerve to go, you got in a great workout that is going to wake up muscles you never knew you had, you have a baseline now. The great part is that you can ONLY go up from here. You are going to get stronger, you are going to get fitter, you are going to develop more endurance. Imagine how you will feel a month from now when you put up a new post about how you increased your weights by 5/10 pounds and can lift more. Your scale will drop a few more pounds and your body will feel stronger. NEVER quit. NEVER NEVER NEVER. You have done the hardest part already: starting!!

Great job to you for "surviving" your first workout.
  • Cornwallis68
    Cornwallis68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm glad I posted, you have all really helped. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

A sort of supplementary question: with the strength stuff, is there a kind of lower limit below which it's pointless? In other words, if the instructor recommended I do two sets of 12 on each machine (I'm not sure of the terminology here, sorry), but I feel able to start with just one set of 6 (for example), is there any point in me doing that, or should I just do cardio until I get fit enough to do the full set?

Hope that makes sense - I guess what has been making me so low is feeling that I didn't even meet the instructor's baseline, like I was wasting his - and my - time. Logically I know that can't be the case, but it's how I felt.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Go at your own pace. You don't have to do what they have shown you. Go with the lowest weights and move up from there. Start with a few exercises and move up from there. I was like that when I first started a gym. Same with cardio, start slow and move your way up. I would give the gym another try.

^^ this. My journey started with no exercise for 2 1/2 months (lost 21-23 pounds)...then I added some cardio for roughly the next 2 months (lost 16-18 more pounds). then I started to add resistance training...and finally HIIT. keep in mind that nutrition is 80% of the fat loss equation. so, when you venture into exercise, do something that you are likely to keep up with. over time, you will want to challenge yourself, but not so much in the beginning. just moving is a good start.