Wanted: Crock Pot Recipes

Options
epayne75
epayne75 Posts: 10 Member
Crock potting fits my lifestyle (single mom to 2 children, working full time and part-time) but is so often unhealthy. Any great recipes that are healthy and kid-friendly?

Thank you!

Replies

• Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    wow...I am right there with you!! I am bumping this...and I hope you get lots of GOOD and HEALTHY recipes!!!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    wow...I am right there with you!! I am bumping this...and I hope you get lots of GOOD and HEALTHY recipes!!!

Ditto! :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If ONLY there were a way to search the forums for recipes. Rats!
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    slowandsimple.com is a great website for crockpot recipies. A lot of them are already healthy, but you can pretty easily alter them to include like, more veggies or less fattening ingredients.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Try going to www.allrecipes.com
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Crock potting fits my lifestyle (single mom to 2 children, working full time and part-time) but is so often unhealthy. Any great recipes that are healthy and kid-friendly?

Thank you!

Using a crock-pot doesn't make your food unhealthy. Putting unhealthy food in the crock pot makes it unhealthy.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    A BIG hit at my house. We did Cream of Mushroom instead of Tomato soup though. Also, doubled the Velveeta.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    skinnycrockpot.com
    myveggietable.com
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    www.crockpotgirls.com have a lot of recipes. They're not all healthy unfortunately. They do have a facebook page though, and under the discussion tabs a lot of people post WW or low cal version of them. Also you can get the ideas and then just change up some of the ingredients to make it healthier.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    There is a button at the top of this page - if you use "Search" you will get 50 Pages of Crockpot Recipes - WOW!!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    A BIG hit at my house. We did Cream of Mushroom instead of Tomato soup though. Also, doubled the Velveeta.

Nice! I hear bacon on top is pretty good too. Cream of Mushroom is truly one of my favorite things though. I may have to experiment with this one next time.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to's is to take a whole chicken cut up. Slice an onion and layer the bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, lay on top of onions. Use a whole bulb (sometimes I use two) of garlic. Separate into cloves and just lay on top of chicken. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 5-6. The chicken will fall off the bone. I usually serve it just like that with veggies or mashed potatoes the first night. Then I skin it and shred it and you have chicken you can use for chicken salad, chicken taco salad, chicken enchiladas, homemade chicken noodle soup....well, you get the idea. And you can usually get a whole chicken for around $6-8 and have multiple meals.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    There is a button at the top of this page - if you use "Search" you will get 50 Pages of Crockpot Recipes - WOW!!
    surprise.gif
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I use skinnycrockpot almost daily! Awesome site!
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My favorite chili: Black Bean and Butternut Squash. It's from all you magazine

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
    3 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
    4 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 14.5-oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    4 cups butternut squash (about 2 lb.), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    Salt and pepper
    Preparation

1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add bell peppers and jalapeños; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
    2. Transfer pepper mixture to slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Arrange squash on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
    3. Season chili with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream, salsa and other accompaniments, if desired.
  • harmony223
    harmony223 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/313512-crockpot-recipes-calories?page=20

There's like 20 pages in this post. Alot of bumps but alot of recipes and links. Also search skinny crock pot on Facebook...they have alot on their FB page. Hope that helps!!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Nice! I hear bacon on top is pretty good too. Cream of Mushroom is truly one of my favorite things though. I may have to experiment with this one next time.
    Bacon would be the bomb! I was tempted to line the pot with slices of Spam next time.