Prednisone?

Options
Anyone ever taken this - and did it cause weight gain? I just went to the doctor today for a follow up visit for sciatica - turns out I'd also been sick over the weekend and took some cough syrup that made me break out in hives which the doctor saw today. He gave me a prescription for prednisone - only 10mg. I've heard so many things about this drug causing huge weight gain. I know it's only short term but I'm doing so well and don't want to undo what I've accomplished thus far. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you were going to be taking prednisone long-term (I'm talking weeks to months), you would probably gain weight. I'd bet that your doctor prescribed you a short burst of 5-7 days, and 10 mg is pretty much the lowest dose you can get. You shouldn't have a problem at all. And, if you do gain weight (which you shouldn't, at least not from the drug), just stick to your plan, and you'll lose it again.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you're taking it for. My son was on it for six days and we didn't see anything out of the ordinary with his weight.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost 7 years, 120mg a day. It caused me to gain almost 80 pounds in the first three months. However, I am on a long-term script for it, because I have Lupus. If you are only on it for short-term, say less than 3 weeks, then you should not gain weight, unless you change your eating habits. Obviously, if you eat more, you will gain weight, but that won't be the Pred's fault. It might make it more difficult to lose weight, but on such a low dose for a short amount of time, you should be fine.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I took prednisone to help my antibiotics to kick a sinus infection I had for an extended period, and I had similar fears to yours. Good news, I had no ill affects. No weight gain or other side-effects. Short-term use doesn't seem to cause any problems. No worries! My BF's mother had me scared becuase she kept calling them the "fat pills". Haha. I wouldn't worry, do what the doc says!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes. 10mg shouldn't cause too much problems, but I'm often on 45 mg for 2 months on a time. While working hard to lose weight, I think I did a good job at maintaining. I've heard of people easily gaining 30-40 pounds in a month on it, but I think partially the problem comes from the drug's ability to make you feel hungry all the time no matter how much you eat.

It's frusturating, and moonface can suck, but again 10mg is a pretty low dose, so hopefully you'll be fine.

The insomnia and mood swings from the drug are much worse than the weight gain in my experience though (although every time I get to a lower weight, i get sick and put back onto full dose of prednisone and gain it all back :( )

Good luck!!!
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    in my experience what you gain is water weight. it's ugly - but it passes. it's not like putting on fat-pounds. and it's after a long-term run, not a few days.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have ms and was on it for 5 days. I actually LOST weight.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The few times I have had to have it I have always gained weight from it but its short term ...
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you only have to take it short term. My daughter was put on prednisone for her lupus. They started her off at 50 mg. She is now down to 20 mg. Her average size was an eight. When she got sick she dropped down to a size five (5'7 height). After getting on the prednisone she got up to a size 11. She's not pleased at all with that, but she's much healthier. So, just watch your diet. Try to watch your carb intake, even in fruits. You should do fine.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it right now due to an allergic reaction to an antibiotic - 10 mg for 7 days. I haven't gained any weight yet but I've been making sure I don't overeat.
  • xonashwaox
    Options
    I was 17 diagnosed with a rare blood disorder and placed on prednisone for 1 year and I gained 60 pounds during that year because of the medication. Ever since then I have had a hard time losing weight.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Its a steroid, so with most people it does cause weight gain. I was prescribed Prednisone for the same reason although my hives were caused by Ibuprofen. I only took it for a day. It took the pain away but when I looked up all the side effects I stopped taking it. I am sensitive to side effects and there were some crazy ones I didn't want to risk getting! Most people I know who took it did gain quite a bit of weight but later was able to lose it after they stopped using it.

I think its a use your own judgement thing.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Prednisone causes weight gain because it increases your appetite. That sucks. Keep healthy snacks on hand, and drink plenty of water. It also will cause some water weight gain which will come right off within a few days of stopping the medication. But even though it will likely cause you to gain some weight, it will be temporary, so please take it anyway. Your doc wouldn't have prescribed it if you didn't need it. Your weight is not as important as your overall health. :)
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a few weeks and only saw a bit of water weight from it.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hear nothing but horror stories about that stuff. My friend will get shots and then be out of it for days. Is it really that gnarly?
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm so sorry you got hives. I had them chronically 24 hours a day, for 6 LONG months. THE worst time of my life. I was on prednisone shots for about a month and 1/2. I got relief, and I had been so miserable I didn't care what I weighed--just wanted the itching and sleeplessness to stop. I hope yours go away soon. My allergist was no help, and I found a really great support group which you can find through Yahoo Groups and through Facebook if you search Chronic Urticaria or Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria. Through them I was able to get off the prednisone and manage my symptoms with a combination of drugs (60mg. Zyrtec, 150mg Zantac) per day after reading about a UK study--talk to your doc and do some investigating. You may not have to take it, or reduce the amount you take. It can cause bone density loss, thinning of the skin, among other things. Like other posters here, I agree, it can cause weight gain, so really watch your carbs/sugar as well as calories. That seems to be what it makes people crave. Good luck.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I was on it several years until we got my RA under control. I gained a lot of weight and had the 'pie face'. It made me hungry and irritable/aggressive - not much but enough that I noticed it. I needed it, it helped and eventually was weaned off. I keep it for flare ups and never have to take it more than a week a couple times a year. I don't notice anything on that short of a dose. It can be nasty but it helps for what it is prescribed - reducing immune system response.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 6 months and gained 20 pounds, but I was also stuck in bed all day and that didn't help.. I don't think you should gain that much weight on it for a short amount of time.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I take it for 10 days each time I'm exposed to Peanuts. I do always gain weight, but I start around 80 mg's and work down to 10 mg's over the course of the 10-14 days.

Someone mentioned Zantac---my allergist also has me take Zantac after an accidental exposure to peanuts. Apparently it has anti-allergy properties as well.

For me, the weight gain doesn't come off so easy. Hopefully with you being on such a low dose it won't effect you.
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    I have been taking it since I was a child and as a child I never had any issues but as an adult I always have slight weight gain, depending on how long I am on it.