PMS Hunger?!

Options
Okay every time I'm almost on my period...I seriously eat everything in sight.

How do i stop this.

And I seriously try to control myself but i simply can't.

It's awful.

Replies

• TheTonyPony
    Options
    I take 'Chromium Plus' when I am on my period. It stops me from craving sugar. Also, I tend to eat allot of clean protein during that time, all through the day to restore the iron I am losing. Not huge servings, just a little at every meal to stop me wanting to eat an entire loaf of bread instead :P
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    me too, I think it is natural...
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Your body burns an extra 300 - 500 calories just before and during your period. I usually amp up the amount of food I am eating during that time so I don't feel like chewing my own arm off.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I crave, but resist because I know that my metabolism is fired up and if I stick to my program I'll lose a lot.

GG
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now. It sucks!

Every time I want to eat junk I force myself to eat something else instead like a carrot, a celery stick, almonds or a handful of popcorn.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Try choosing what's it sight. I know that sounds annoying but it's a thought. I will look in the snack cupboard when I get the munchies but it's too much trouble to dig into the back of the pantry looking for junk food. Set yourself up with healthy munchies and a few that aren't so healthy to handle the salt (chip, fry) and chocolate cravings that hit you. Portion it out and put the rest away somewhere that you think is inconvenient so maybe you won't eat it all. Worth a shot.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Your body burns an extra 300 - 500 calories just before and during your period. I usually amp up the amount of food I am eating during that time so I don't feel like chewing my own arm off.

Really?? I didn't know this. I too could eat the whole house, and sometimes I do! I hate it cos I feel that I am wasting all that good work that I did 2 weeks beforehand.

I would (will) try the extra protien and see if that helps!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I find that making sure I get enough calcium and magnesium helps with the sugar cravings. When I crave sugar, I try to eat a yogurt or drink a glass of milk instead.

But think about it--your body is working really hard through this part of your reproductive cycle. It needs protein, iron, and a lot of water and fiber will help, too. Supporting your body with what you eat is what helps curb the cravings, not trying to ignore what it needs... it's not going to hurt if you eat a little more during those few days.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I always get this way too right before my period especially for salty or sweet and fatty things. I try to get out of the house and plan stuff that will make it harder to grab a snack or be tempted to go to the kitchen.

The other thing that sometimes works is to let myself have tiny portions of "forbidden foods" like 2 squares of chocolate instead of a whole bar or a single serving bag of chips instead of half the bag. It works best if you don't have the remaining food staring at you from somewhere in the house. Maybe give the rest to boyfriend or hubby or roomie? I can usually pawn stuff off on my husband. Once it's in his tummy it can't tempt me anymore. lol
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think there are several things that help. I'm always craving everything when that time is coming around. A couple of weeks ago I started using coconut oil, which a good healthy fat and I've not had any cravings. I am so glad!

I take between 1-2 T a day and have continued to lose weight.
  • Leilaniyoza
    Options
    wow, thats really helpful knowing my body is already burning more calories during "that" time. thx
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I already responded once and was thrilled to know so many women out there go thru this too. I did a little digging. Your metabolism is going to change throughout the month because of your hormone levels. However, (according to the livestrong website) not if you're on birth control. Your B.C. regulates your hormone level so you don't have the metabolism changes. Just wanted to put that out there.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Really?? I didn't know this. I too could eat the whole house, and sometimes I do! I hate it cos I feel that I am wasting all that good work that I did 2 weeks beforehand.

I would (will) try the extra protien and see if that helps!

Really Read this
    http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health-Fitness/Understanding-Your-Menstrual-Cycle.html
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think every woman suffers with this. Some days there is not enough chocolate in the world to satisfy my cravings. I usually find a banana helps, or yoghurt mixed with chocolate protein powder. It sucks being a girl sometimes!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think every woman suffers with this. Some days there is not enough chocolate in the world to satisfy my cravings. I usually find a banana helps, or yoghurt mixed with chocolate protein powder. It sucks being a girl sometimes!

Hot chocolate made with hot water instead of milk works wonders for my chocolate cravings Oh a the small dark chocolate squares!
  • amyyo523
    Options
    Ok i'm so glad its not just me being the crazy hungry girl :D thanks guys!! this is so helpful! I will try all of these actually!